Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Carers, things that have helped

Carers, things that have helped Share your experiences of caring, and pass on practical advice and helpful tips

Old 15-08-18, 10:31 AM   #1
Gabby
Approved Member

Default Alcohol and HD

Hi has anyone else had experience of drinking related issues

My hubbie tested 2008 symptomatic diagnosis 4 years ago so is Early stage, though movements have increased anxiety increased ,short term memory got worse and volume control of voice from tooloud or too quiet . Drink exaggerates all of this .
i think he has been using it as a cover up.. ie im drunk so people dont look at his symptoms . He tries so hard to not move . and has up to know been able to control these quite well to the point no one else has noticed except me .
But i had a panic attack recently ( Ex- husband was a nasty drunk )

He had been on a stag do and was supposed to be coming home about 5 then he was persuaded to stay a bit longer but then his mate messaged to say he needs to come home he had to feed him he couldn't even reach for his food and he says hes going to walk home .
So i went to pick him up .. he was in a bar of a posh hotel i tried to persuade him to come home but he wasn't having it so stubborn . He has never been las bad as this before and not in a room full of people . I didn't want to cause a scene but i tried to keep calm and it ended with me having a real panic /anxiety attack . I did eventually after an hour persuade him to go home
We have discussed since, that this was not acceptable and he cant hold his drink anymore . While away recently he was good and paced himself , but did get to a point where he was very loud .. inappropriately . But i managed to cope with that .
I know he has always drunk and enjoys a drink and i don't want to spoil the fun while he can still enjoy it . but it does worry me
Also we have had to cancel a research appt due to his anxiety upsetting his stomach .Toilet issues always a issue really either can't go so sits for hours or we get half way someone and have to go back as he has to go .
CBT has been suggested . But we have not had a clinical appt for ages all a mess due to files being shared for the research .

He only take anti depressants at mo ( and has done since 2008)

What would others suggest
Meds or CBT for anxiety ?
would you say he should stop drinking altogether ?

Thanks for listening
Gabby
x
x
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-18, 11:22 AM   #2
shiraz
Approved Member

Default Re: Alcohol and HD

Hi Gabby...my ex was a violent alcoholic and it's a wretched life so...we sure don't want to end up coping with owt like that again!!

My husband likes a drink, as I do myself at night watching telly and as you rightly say you don't want to deny them such a simple enjoyment specially when everything else is slowly being denied. It's when it becomes a problem though...does he drink in the day? Is he overindulging to hide himself away from hd because he knows he's getting worse and is scared...or drinking out of boredom? Stag dos though are notorious for lads getting well too sozzled and they egg each other on so...I'd put that down as a one off, and last time!

I have to say that until recently I'd give my husband a spirit and coke each night and if he wanted another there was no way he'd let it drop. I'd put soda in so as not to hide the flavour with coke but now, after a bout of illness, he's no longer allowed to drink and so I give him alcohol free beer which he's just accepted. He actually says it's really strong!! There have been times when he's drunk far too much in the past and nothing I could do to stop it and he would become very nasty but those days are long gone. I guess you've somehow got to get him to realise he's not able to drink heavily because it's not nice for you and those around him. Here I do the buying, the pouring...I have control over consumption, but it's a situation I've only totally gotten a grip of since his recent bout of sickness. As with everything else where hd is in the mix getting things sorted and settled is easier said than done.
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-18, 06:47 PM   #3
Gabby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
Hi Gabby...my ex was a violent alcoholic and it's a wretched life so...we sure don't want to end up coping with owt like that again!!

My husband likes a drink, as I do myself at night watching telly and as you rightly say you don't want to deny them such a simple enjoyment specially when everything else is slowly being denied. It's when it becomes a problem though...does he drink in the day? Is he overindulging to hide himself away from hd because he knows he's getting worse and is scared...or drinking out of boredom? Stag dos though are notorious for lads getting well too sozzled and they egg each other on so...I'd put that down as a one off, and last time!

I have to say that until recently I'd give my husband a spirit and coke each night and if he wanted another there was no way he'd let it drop. I'd put soda in so as not to hide the flavour with coke but now, after a bout of illness, he's no longer allowed to drink and so I give him alcohol free beer which he's just accepted. He actually says it's really strong!! There have been times when he's drunk far too much in the past and nothing I could do to stop it and he would become very nasty but those days are long gone. I guess you've somehow got to get him to realise he's not able to drink heavily because it's not nice for you and those around him. Here I do the buying, the pouring...I have control over consumption, but it's a situation I've only totally gotten a grip of since his recent bout of sickness. As with everything else where hd is in the mix getting things sorted and settled is easier said than done.

Hi Shiraz thank you,
No I don't want the violence my ex of 13 years was violent too which is why I think i Panicked so much as thought i may be dealing with that again . It was not a one off though the worst of the situations as in a public place . Had a few previous incidents one on holiday where he refused to go the correct way as he was right and a couple of instances where he had literally passed out while at a friends . I'm going to see how it goes he has promised to
slow down .. pace himself etc .

Thank you for your reply
Gabby
x
Old 17-08-18, 09:25 PM   #4
Allan
Approved Member

Hi Gabby

I’ve been thinking (dangerous I know) and searching for background info on HD + social\recreational drinking but all I could discover was substance\alcohol abuse and HD … so I kept well away from it. It’s known that those who are, more or less, living on their own are partial to overdoing it with alcohol - but in the family home, like many other things, people may not discuss any negative issues outside the home environment.

Given the complex physical, emotional, and cognitive aspects of HD, I think it’s important to develop innovative methods for dealing with everyday events (such as over-drinking and over-spending) and obsessive-compulsive behaviour.

There’s a certainty and a lack of certainty in everyday life with HD … every day is the same yet different. I think we all realise that quality of life is also compromised in many ways for hd-Carers - bearing the impact of the social burden and the emotional burden - and we often neglect our own needs as the caregiving role and the disease symptoms take over our lives as well as the life of our HD affected family member(s).

I often go through questionnaires with my son just to discover his reaction to certain issues - and I include some of my own questions “in disguise”, so that they’re not blatant but seem to be part of something bigger than just … drinking, smoking, sexual matters, personal hygiene, toilet matters, etc. This way we get to talk about everything but not in isolation - which might have been threatening, eg “You’re drinking too much”, “You’re spending all our money”, etc.

Here’s a good questionnaire that could easily be adapted to personal use:

The World Health Organization Quality of Life (WHOQOL)-BREF

I’ve also found these interesting - in a reverse sort-of way:

Safeguarding Adults

Safeguarding vulnerable adults - a tool kit for general practitioners

Although people mention substance abuse (alcohol and drugs) in facebook HD groups it’s never discussed at length. So it’s difficult to build up a picture of what might happen - and what can be done to alleviate the issues so that they don’t become a major problem to the individual and the family.

Old 18-08-18, 08:59 AM   #5
Gabby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Hi Gabby

I’ve been thinking (dangerous I know) and searching for background info on HD + social\recreational drinking but all I could discover was substance\alcohol abuse and HD … so I kept well away from it. It’s known that those who are, more or less, living on their own are partial to overdoing it with alcohol - but in the family home, like many other things, people may not discuss any negative issues outside the home environment.

Given the complex physical, emotional, and cognitive aspects of HD, I think it’s important to develop innovative methods for dealing with everyday events (such as over-drinking and over-spending) and obsessive-compulsive behaviour.

There’s a certainty and a lack of certainty in everyday life with HD … every day is the same yet different. I think we all realise that quality of life is also compromised in many ways for hd-Carers - bearing the impact of the social burden and the emotional burden - and we often neglect our own needs as the caregiving role and the disease symptoms take over our lives as well as the life of our HD affected family member(s).

I often go through questionnaires with my son just to discover his reaction to certain issues - and I include some of my own questions “in disguise”, so that they’re not blatant but seem to be part of something bigger than just … drinking, smoking, sexual matters, personal hygiene, toilet matters, etc. This way we get to talk about everything but not in isolation - which might have been threatening, eg “You’re drinking too much”, “You’re spending all our money”, etc.

Here’s a good questionnaire that could easily be adapted to personal use:

The World Health Organization Quality of Life (WHOQOL)-BREF

I’ve also found these interesting - in a reverse sort-of way:

Safeguarding Adults

Safeguarding vulnerable adults - a tool kit for general practitioners

Although people mention substance abuse (alcohol and drugs) in facebook HD groups it’s never discussed at length. So it’s difficult to build up a picture of what might happen - and what can be done to alleviate the issues so that they don’t become a major problem to the individual and the family.

thank you
Old 14-10-18, 08:57 AM   #6
saturn
Approved Member

It Might be worth you reading a september post form me on any research on hd and dopamin, on the message board.
Many websites have linked Dopamin production with alcoholism and other addictions, and there was a good responce from Allen. This may give you something to think about or research to find your own particular answer as my understanding is that he can easily become addicted to any substance as he progresses. I have been told by a proffesor of psychiatry In the family that huntingtons although being different in every patient, tends to have symptoms that run in the family, perhaps you can talk to people that know the person he inherited it from to find out whhich symptoms with hindsite they recognise from the list allen shared on the post, this would give you an ide of what there may be traditional solutions to and which are due to chemical inbalance, only a thought hope it helps
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote