Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntington’s disease

Old 04-09-14, 02:26 PM   #1
Joseharry
Approved Member

Default ****** Bike

Hi All,

Roger was barred from driving by the DVLA following the seizure he suffered earlier in the year.
He has been going on and on about getting a bike. I have been dead against the idea, thinking that it would simply be too dangerous.
I had a chat about it to one of my GP friends who said it would probably be really good for him, giving him some independence and freedom so I eventually relented on the condition that he bought a helmet, elbow and knee pads, and a hi viz jacket.
Anyway, he went ahead and ordered a bike (£500!!!!!)
I dropped him off at Halfords to pick it up this morning and went off to do some shopping

Oh my! What a shock I had driving home. On the dual carriageway I see Roger up ahead, wobbling along with the helmet still in its box dangling from the handlebars of the bike.

The bike itself is a full blown curly handled thin wheeled racing bike suitable for competing in the tour de ****** France.

I really am shocked and so very concerned for his welfare. Am I being overprotective?

Brenda ( very worried)
Joseharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 07:50 PM   #2
dennisw
Approved Member

Default Re: ****** Bike

The bike sounds a bit risky, but this needs to be offset against Roger's esteem and him coming to terms with his loss of his driving licence. Having got it, I guess he will not be to willing to to immediately give it up. Try to encourage him to wear his helmet and use the bike in quite areas, off the beaten track. Are there any cycle ways where you live and someone who could accompany him?
Perhaps he will quickly tire of it.
Dennis
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14, 10:26 AM   #3
toosh
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseharry View Post
Hi All,

Roger was barred from driving by the DVLA following the seizure he suffered earlier in the year.
He has been going on and on about getting a bike. I have been dead against the idea, thinking that it would simply be too dangerous.
I had a chat about it to one of my GP friends who said it would probably be really good for him, giving him some independence and freedom so I eventually relented on the condition that he bought a helmet, elbow and knee pads, and a hi viz jacket.
Anyway, he went ahead and ordered a bike (£500!!!!!)
I dropped him off at Halfords to pick it up this morning and went off to do some shopping

Oh my! What a shock I had driving home. On the dual carriageway I see Roger up ahead, wobbling along with the helmet still in its box dangling from the handlebars of the bike.

The bike itself is a full blown curly handled thin wheeled racing bike suitable for competing in the tour de ****** France.

I really am shocked and so very concerned for his welfare. Am I being overprotective?

Brenda ( very worried)
Hi Brenda

My husband rides a bike with no problem. That said he has ridden bikes all of his life and has cycled from Nottingham to Newcastle (in 1 day) twice for charity, he also cycled to work and back everyday, when he was working, therefore he has been used to riding a bike.

Has Roger been used to riding a bike regularly

I too was very worried about hubby but he is fine. We both go out on the bikes and the excercise is good for him but we try to stick to cycle tracks. He hasn't fallen off yet but I make him wear a helmet but he doesn't have the knee pads etc. I would certainly recommend Roger sticks to cycle tracks to start with.

Love from Toosh
xxx
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 08:12 AM   #4
Joseharry
Approved Member

Hi ,
Thanks for all your replies.
Roger is NOT an experienced cyclist by any stretch of the imagination! He watches the Tour de France every year and thats about it!.
He has had the bike for about 10 days now and It certainly has given him more freedom which can only be a good thing...
I have installed the " find my friend" app on his iPhone which is great, I can watch his progress while he is out and should he crash I can go to his rescue. I have also put a card in with his phone with my details and details of his condition on it.
It is nice to see him able to stretch his wings( should that be legs?) a little without relying on me , I do worry though...

Brenda
Joseharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-14, 10:16 PM   #5
Cupcake
Approved Member

That is brilliant he can keep his independence for a little bit longer. My hubby does not have good enough balance anymore on the bike, and just before he left the RAF had come off his bike a couple of times, looking back I think he was either braking too hard, or losing his balance although at the time he always blamed everyone else. There is not possibility of him ever getting on a bike again, sadly.
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-14, 05:45 AM   #6
banda
Approved Member

Pleased hubby is able to cycle altho I understand the worry! My hubby has been unable to drive since April and he has taken it very badly. He also cant cycle but he does enjoy a walk still with the three dogs. I usually go with him but in an effort to still give him some independence I often drop him at one of the old railway line walks (with mobile phone) where he is safer. We live in a rural area of narrow roads and no pavements...so it is not safe for him to walk on the roads.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote