Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntington’s disease

Old 24-05-18, 01:55 PM   #1
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Default Head banging

Sometimes I wonder what the chuffing hell is going on!!
I had everything sorted for my brother to live out the rest of his days weeks months years in peace and now the social services are sticking their noses in regarding his finances??
I have no sodding clue what they are going on about except that Chris has substantial savings and they are wanting a member of the family to be in charge of it all?? WHY????? We had it all set up lovely with a financial team and the home can buy him whatever he needs to make his life as comfortable as possible and whatever was in his best interests?? So why mess with a system that doesn't need fecking messing with

I have refused to take over his finances as I feel it wouldn't be in MY best interest to do so! I don't want to have anything to do with his money? I want an impartial person to look after his monies then NO ONE in the family can say a cross word......right rant over......I need a GIN!!!
Amanda Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-18, 02:00 PM   #2
Allan
Approved Member

Default Re: Head banging

Hi Amanda

Is it something like this ...

What’s happening is that Social Services have deduced that Chris has savings greater than £23,250 and should, therefore, be contributing a “reasonable sum” towards his Residential Care.

My son has no savings but has to pay towards his at home Care from his ESA and DLA benefits, that is, from the Care element of DLA.

If it's not that I hope you're little rant and the gin has eased the situation a little.

www.carehome.co.uk/fees/feesadvice.cfm

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/charging-residential-accommodation

www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/social-care-and-support-where-to-start/paying-for-care-support/changes-to-the-way-you-pay-for-residential-care

Old 25-05-18, 03:38 PM   #3
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Hi Allan

No Chris has full NHS care which has been decided he will have for the rest of his life, what they are saying is because Chris has a "substantial" amount of monies that its to much for the safeguarding financial team to be looking after and they are looking for either a member of the family to start taking care of it or it will go to the court of protection and from there he will be given a professional deputy to take care of his monies.......obviously I can't go into to much detail on here but I really need him to have a professional deputy.
I want someone other than any family member sorting his monies out, I don't think that its in his best interests to have anyone other than an independent person....does that make sense?
Old 25-05-18, 05:13 PM   #4
Allan
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Stansfield View Post
... to the court of protection and from there he will be given a professional deputy to take care of his monies...
Hi Amanda

Never having been involved with large amounts of savings I wasn't aware that such a set-up existed - but it does seem wholly appropriate (and independent) and is geared to vulnerable adults. I hope it gets sorted quickly ... then you won't need as many gins.

www.deputyship.co.uk/court-of-protection.html

Old 04-06-18, 02:39 PM   #5
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post

Hi Amanda

Never having been involved with large amounts of savings I wasn't aware that such a set-up existed - but it does seem wholly appropriate (and independent) and is geared to vulnerable adults. I hope it gets sorted quickly ... then you won't need as many gins.

www.deputyship.co.uk/court-of-protection.html

FOR THE LOVE OF GIN
Thank you Allan for replying to my moan, still not heard anything from Social Services but some of them don't come across as the brightest buttons in the button box sometimes
Will let you know how things turn out