Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntington’s disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 01-02-18, 09:57 AM   #11
banda
Approved Member

Default Re: Going through testing

There's quite a NE contingent on here!! I take my hubby to Centre for life too. Have been once to the group that meets at Walkergate...it is lovely...I just can't always get. Good luck everyone and stay strong. xx
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 10:55 PM   #12
Hoping81
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
Hi there. Yes - at Centre for Life. I went expecting to have blood taken but it was an oral DNA swab. Had mentally prepared for a needle then had oral swab- like the police taking a DNA sample! Had to laugh as I ended up being worried that I’d just eaten a bar of chocolate and that my lipstick would be in the sample! Am hoping to pluck up the courage to one day get involved with HDA/ support group as I do think that talking to people in the same boat is helpful. Best of luck to you and a virtual hug right back at you. Feel in safe hands with Centre for Life and that they’ll support with getting involved in research -which my Dad and others like him never got the chance to do bless him/ them. Take care X
Thanks for the heads up. Im sure she told me it was a blood draw. Im in next thursday, my mam has insisted she go with me to this one (other appointments ive wanted to do myself) and ive taken the next day off work (just to sort my head out a little -if thats possible). Are the results 3 weeks to the day or do you have to wait for them to create another appointment?
Its really hard to prepare for... my best friend keeps telling me im brave. I dont feel it. Just $h!t scared.
Hoping81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 09:51 AM   #13
banda
Approved Member

My hubby had a blood test taken at Sunderland Royal and I think we then waited about 6 weeks for the appointment at Centre for Life where we got the result.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 04:54 PM   #14
jaq
Approved Member

It was four weeks between bloods and result . I was the first appointment in the clinic and the relays are given straight away . Xxx
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 05:27 PM   #15
Hoping81
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi there. Yes - at Centre for Life. I went expecting to have blood taken but it was an oral DNA swab. Had mentally prepared for a needle then had oral swab- like the police taking a DNA sample! Had to laugh as I ended up being worried that I’d just eaten a bar of chocolate and that my lipstick would be in the sample! Am hoping to pluck up the courage to one day get involved with HDA/ support group as I do think that talking to people in the same boat is helpful. Best of luck to you and a virtual hug right back at you. Feel in safe hands with Centre for Life and that they’ll support with getting involved in research -which my Dad and others like him never got the chance to do bless him/ them. Take care X
Ended up having to have blood draw as had been chewing gum.. gutted never even thought. So note to all getting test eno chewing gum prior to test.

Hope your ok strawberryfields. Xxx
Hoping81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-18, 09:59 AM   #16
Ange<3
Approved Member

Quote:
I get my result in just over a week. I’m prepared for the worst (have been twitching and getting frustrated for over a year now). I have more to lose than to gain In confirming what deep down I know is my destiny but I feel that I need to know in order to plan for my future and to prepare my children. I know a positive result will crucify me because my children will become what I’ve been all these years, ‘At Risk’ and my heart will break. Trying to stay positive as I know that being a misery and a drama queen will help nobody. Need to stay strong for my family but need to vent somewhere. Thanks for listening to anyone reading this.
Hi really hope you got a negative result. I am also from Newcastle and I know how hard it hits you if it does come back positive. If you need anyone to talk to or if you want to meet up let me know. I've managed to turn around that awful corner now and am more or less back to the person I was before the test but I know how hard it is getting that news. Fingers crossed for you xx
Ange<3 is offline   Reply With Quote