Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 03-12-12, 10:17 PM   #1
Allan
Approved Member

Default Lasting Power of Attorney

Hi everyone

My family is unusual in that we have no history of HD. My son, S, aged 25, has recently been diagnosed with young onset HD with parkinsonian features. We have known that there was something drastically not right for about five years - and now we know why.

I'm due to start along the Genetic Testing route this week at the NHNN but S is now showing a notable decline in movement, cognitive stuff and emotional\behavioural stuff.

He still lives (sort of) independently in a flat but can't really cope at all. But at 25 he's adamant that he's ok. So, that's ok with me.

We were having a chat today whilst I was washing up, cleaning, hoovering, etc. about the financial and admin. stuff that I now do for him. I mentioned Lasting Power of Attorney to him and told him what it was, etc. And he said, "Sounds good to me, go for it."

So, I've just downloaded a number of forms and guidance files - and I think they've cleared a forest just to provide me with my set of forms. Or they will have if I print them off - 159 pages and in various pastel colours! So I've ordered a hard copy pack. Well, that's one more forest gone.

Anyway, what I'm seeking here is advice and info - is there an easy way through this paper mountain or do I have to take the long complex route.

Thanks

S's old man, Allan
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 09:23 PM   #2
Scooby
Approved Member

Default Re: Lasting Power of Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Hi everyone

My family is unusual in that we have no history of HD. My son, S, aged 25, has recently been diagnosed with young onset HD with parkinsonian features. We have known that there was something drastically not right for about five years - and now we know why.

I'm due to start along the Genetic Testing route this week at the NHNN but S is now showing a notable decline in movement, cognitive stuff and emotional\behavioural stuff.

He still lives (sort of) independently in a flat but can't really cope at all. But at 25 he's adamant that he's ok. So, that's ok with me.

We were having a chat today whilst I was washing up, cleaning, hoovering, etc. about the financial and admin. stuff that I now do for him. I mentioned Lasting Power of Attorney to him and told him what it was, etc. And he said, "Sounds good to me, go for it."

So, I've just downloaded a number of forms and guidance files - and I think they've cleared a forest just to provide me with my set of forms. Or they will have if I print them off - 159 pages and in various pastel colours! So I've ordered a hard copy pack. Well, that's one more forest gone.

Anyway, what I'm seeking here is advice and info - is there an easy way through this paper mountain or do I have to take the long complex route.

Thanks

S's old man, Allan
Firstly I am sorry for your son's diagnosis. I did a POA for both my son and daughter both around your son's age when they were diagnosed with JHD. That was a while ago now and it has most likely changed. I found that the forms at that time did seem daunting but once I got my head round it wasnt too difficult.

There is also the option of getting it done by a solicitor which I assume would be quite costly, however, having filled in numerous other forms etc for them both I felt I became quite an expert over time. There was at that time a fee for the granting of POA which at that time was over £250 each but because they were both on benefits etc I wrote a cover note explaining their financial situation and also sent in copies of bank statements and they didnot have to pay anything.

Hope this has help in some way.

All the best

Sue x
Old 04-12-12, 10:23 PM   #3
Cupcake
Approved Member

I registered for lasting power if attorney earlier this year for my hubby. I ordered the pack by post as well due to the number of pages and colours.

It did take bit of time to complete and read but it was not too bad, it is very self explanatory, with plenty of examples to give you guide lines, and I found it fine as long as you don't want things too complicated.

We only did the financial one as hubby did not feel he wanted to think about the future and possible outcomes, it cost £130 I think with an option of £100 for additional medical form, I did not think we qualified for it for free.

Good luck sorting it out.

Take care xx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 10:24 PM   #4
jo
Approved Member

welcome alan sorry about your son . my son also has jhd age 13 we found out 2 years ago big shock as we had'nt heard of hd before would just like to ask about poa as some one has told me i need to do it why ? and what is it for thanks take care love jo x
jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 11:56 PM   #5
Cupcake
Approved Member

Hi

Just reading the posts, my understanding of the Lasting Power of Attorney is that it has now replaced Enduring Power of Attorney, unless it had been registered previously. Who ever is your POA, they can act on your behalf even before you have mental incapacity, as long as there is no restrictions put in place by the donor.

We have set one up for me to deal with all aspects of our finances if I need to, I have not registered it with the banks etc, yet, as I don't feel I need to, but when hubby is unable to do things I can do it all, whether he is mentally incapacitated or not.

I am not sure how you would go about registering a minor, as obviously at the moment you have parental rights, but once he is 18 it will be useful, if you call them they will be able to advise you, I found them very helpful, when I called and did not really know what I was doing.

Best wishes. Xxx
Old 06-12-12, 12:07 AM   #6
jo
Approved Member

thanks jaq and cupcake .it was someone at the childrens hospice told me i needed to do it i was'nt realy sure why as he is so young thanks love jo x
Old 06-12-12, 12:11 PM   #7
Scooby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo View Post
welcome alan sorry about your son . my son also has jhd age 13 we found out 2 years ago big shock as we had'nt heard of hd before would just like to ask about poa as some one has told me i need to do it why ? and what is it for thanks take care love jo x
Hi Jo

In hindsight I would have looked into this alot sooner rather than later. When your son reaches 18 and if you dont have this in place you will not even be able to make any medical choices on his behalf, even if he is not able to communicate that right will be taken away from you and him by people who do not know him, his beliefs, his personality or his wishes but people who think they know whats best for him. Even with the POA you still need to know your rights.
You can go to the public guardianship website that Jacqueline mentioned and this will explain alot more than we can here.
I can honestly say, I have lost count of the many copies I have had to make for the different organisations in order for me to make choices and contact on their behalf it is quite daunting, even something simple like a telephone call to the council or the water company on their behalf can be met with "we need proof", "you need to be registered POA on our records" etc, etc. Beleive me its definately not just the bank that will need a copy.

Best wishes
Sue x
Old 06-12-12, 04:27 PM   #8
jo
Approved Member

oh cheers sue i will have to look into it all its just not nice having to do these things not what i had planned in life thats for sure xx
Old 06-12-12, 08:03 PM   #9
Scooby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo View Post
oh cheers sue i will have to look into it all its just not nice having to do these things not what i had planned in life thats for sure xx
I understand Jo, I had it all thrust upon me with no idea what was in store either. Not knowing anything about HD or anyone who had it certainly gives you a rude awakening so to speak. Faced with all the new set of unexpected challenges, having some prior insight would have been so helpful at times instead of fumbling around in the dark and hitting brick walls at every corner.

Take care hun

Sue x
Old 06-12-12, 10:35 PM   #10
Cupcake
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Hi Jo

In hindsight I would have looked into this alot sooner rather than later. When your son reaches 18 and if you dont have this in place you will not even be able to make any medical choices on his behalf, even if he is not able to communicate that right will be taken away from you and him by people who do not know him, his beliefs, his personality or his wishes but people who think they know whats best for him. Even with the POA you still need to know your rights.
You can go to the public guardianship website that Jacqueline mentioned and this will explain alot more than we can here.
I can honestly say, I have lost count of the many copies I have had to make for the different organisations in order for me to make choices and contact on their behalf it is quite daunting, even something simple like a telephone call to the council or the water company on their behalf can be met with "we need proof", "you need to be registered POA on our records" etc, etc. Beleive me its definately not just the bank that will need a copy.

Best wishes
Sue x
Hi Sue

Reading your reply it has made me think a bit more I had not really thought it through and had not anticipated needing it at lots do places to make decisions, being bait daft what sort of things do you mean? I am also now worrying whether I should get hubby to agree to medical POA, I did not push it previously as he does not like thinking about what is going to happen, and in a way we hide from the future.

Thanks xxx