Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 12-09-16, 07:38 PM   #1
glasshalffull
Approved Member

Default assessment by a Doctor.

Sorry but just have to have a rant, and I hope you will all forgive me. Today we finaly got to see a doctor for Emma's ESA claim, this was the 4th time of trying.
Went in he asked a few questions and then he said "do you think you are getting better" when we pointed out there is very little treatment and no cure he said I quote "I know I am a Doctor", we were in the interview maybe 25 mins. No questions about the memory problems, mood swings, concentration, forgetfulness, maybe we will get another interview so we can cover how HD is affecting my 31yr old daughter and her family. thanks for letting me vent. xx
glasshalffull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 09:18 PM   #2
Gabby
Approved Member

Default Re: assessment by a Doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshalffull View Post
Sorry but just have to have a rant, and I hope you will all forgive me. Today we finaly got to see a doctor for Emma's ESA claim, this was the 4th time of trying.
Went in he asked a few questions and then he said "do you think you are getting better" when we pointed out there is very little treatment and no cure he said I quote "I know I am a Doctor", we were in the interview maybe 25 mins. No questions about the memory problems, mood swings, concentration, forgetfulness, maybe we will get another interview so we can cover how HD is affecting my 31yr old daughter and her family. thanks for letting me vent. xx
Vent away it's so frustrating I had a similar experience with my husband and wrote to my MP 4 times complaining and saying they were deliberately not listening to me asking relevant questions . stalling etc ;) And lady said she knew all about HD as she had read it on the internet.
Let me know the outcome of the assessment .
Gabby x
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 11:22 PM   #3
toosh
Approved Member

Quote:
Why not ask if SHDA can attend the next one. Might help to explainthe symptoms
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-16, 12:23 AM   #4
Allan
Approved Member

Hi There

I can't quite figure out where you are with this ESA claim and whether it is being done via Maximus [who have taken over from Atos] who seem to go under the banner of "Centre for Health and Disability Assessment".

There are a lot of youtube videos describing current ESA claims which might help: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf2Zd7Gd0yQ

I'm not sure that they would ask questions relevant to your daughter's HD symptoms [which is the obvious way to us]. From their point of view it's more about her "ability" to work and get her back on to JSA. So, you've probably got to do more of what the guy in the video suggests.

Best wishes

Old 13-09-16, 05:05 PM   #5
glasshalffull
Approved Member

thank you for your support and helpful suggestions as always very useful. This was Emma's first assessment and I maybe i thought that no system could be so cruel as to make life any harder than it is for HD sufferers. Fitness for work, well that should be fun, spills tips and falls, blank stares, temper issues, inability to get out of bed, and being told the same thing over and over again, still that is better than being told you are a liar because she knows I did not tell her that, sounds like the ideal candidate for any job. oh well glass half full, so onwards and upwards. xxx
Old 13-09-16, 05:41 PM   #6
Gabby
Approved Member

Quote:
thank you for your support and helpful suggestions as always very useful. This was Emma's first assessment and I maybe i thought that no system could be so cruel as to make life any harder than it is for HD sufferers. Fitness for work, well that should be fun, spills tips and falls, blank stares, temper issues, inability to get out of bed, and being told the same thing over and over again, still that is better than being told you are a liar because she knows I did not tell her that, sounds like the ideal candidate for any job. oh well glass half full, so onwards and upwards. xxx

I thought the same surely if you know about HD you would not deem anyone fit for work . Did you put all of the above in the assessment form ?

Gabby
xx
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-16, 06:16 PM   #7
glasshalffull
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Hi There

I can't quite figure out where you are with this ESA claim and whether it is being done via Maximus [who have taken over from Atos] who seem to go under the banner of "Centre for Health and Disability Assessment".

There are a lot of youtube videos describing current ESA claims which might help: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf2Zd7Gd0yQ

I'm not sure that they would ask questions relevant to your daughter's HD symptoms [which is the obvious way to us]. From their point of view it's more about her "ability" to work and get her back on to JSA. So, you've probably got to do more of what the guy in the video suggests.

Best wishes

very interesting, bit late this time around but very useful if we need to appeal. x
Old 16-12-16, 04:37 AM   #8
sarahminor009
Approved Member

Quote:
I had decided to get tested and the doctor that I went to was horrible evil. I have always loved driving. It makes me feel better when I am upset or depressed. I am also a substitute teacher and I love my kids too. And I am years away from not being able to work or drive and he said that I should quit both now. He also said that I should have gotten an abortion but I love my little girl more than anything else and I can't imagine my life without her. He also said that I needed to get a historecomy. It was originally a Nazi idea to sterilize people with genetic diseases so he is like a Nazi. I was really mad about that part but the rest made me cry over it which I haven't done since my dad was diagnosed
sarahminor009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-16, 12:13 AM   #9
glasshalffull
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahminor009 View Post
I had decided to get tested and the doctor that I went to was horrible evil. I have always loved driving. It makes me feel better when I am upset or depressed. I am also a substitute teacher and I love my kids too. And I am years away from not being able to work or drive and he said that I should quit both now. He also said that I should have gotten an abortion but I love my little girl more than anything else and I can't imagine my life without her. He also said that I needed to get a historecomy. It was originally a Nazi idea to sterilize people with genetic diseases so he is like a Nazi. I was really mad about that part but the rest made me cry over it which I haven't done since my dad was diagnosed
What an awful experience for you, i cannot believe that a doctor would say such a thing in this day and age, maybe a formal complaint is in order. So sorry that on top of everything else, this happened. xx