Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Young People

Young People For young people under the age of 35 to share experiences, information and ideas

Old 26-08-16, 07:18 AM   #1
SarahF
Approved Member

Default How do you cope with being at risk?

Hi, I'm new here. I have three children in their 20s and have just had to tell them their grandmother (my ex's mother) died from Huntington's (late onset thankfully). How do I best support them and also have I done the right thing to tell them? Feeling terribly guilty for turning their lives upside down but I felt they had a right to know despite my ex & his family all being in complete denial.
SarahF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 08:12 PM   #2
banda
Approved Member

Default Re: How do you cope with being at risk?

I feel that you would be blamed if you didn't and blamed now you have...it's a no win situation. I feel that ultimately they will appreciate having been told...my hubby has HD and was told about 20 years ago with his brother...his brother does not wish to be tested but our nephews and niece worry on about it all the time bless them....my hubby was told but head in the sand lived his life not wanting to know and even now, symptomatic prefers not to acknowledge it at all. There is no right or wrong answer.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-17, 04:22 PM   #3
Pandie
Approved Member

Default Re: How do you cope with being at risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahF View Post
Hi, I'm new here. I have three children in their 20s and have just had to tell them their grandmother (my ex's mother) died from Huntington's (late onset thankfully). How do I best support them and also have I done the right thing to tell them? Feeling terribly guilty for turning their lives upside down but I felt they had a right to know despite my ex & his family all being in complete denial.
im 23 and my mum told me at a very young age so I've grew up knowing no different. although now I'm old enough to understand fully and decided what i want in life its getting really hard.
if i can suggest anything its to take time out to speak to them about how they are feeling. take them out for a meal and spend some quality time discussing their feelings.
the key is support. my family get on like nothing is wrong and I'm sat here crying myself to sleep some nights. in a world full of people and a big family its strange how one can feel so alone x
Pandie is offline   Reply With Quote