Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 07-11-15, 08:10 PM   #1
nicolann
Approved Member

Default Driving

Grant has been requested to see his GP for a medical assessment, as the DVLA are reviewing his licence, does anyone have experience of this. I want to reassure him if I can.

He loves driving and is still competent, alot better than I am lol
nicolann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-15, 11:29 PM   #2
Melody
Approved Member

Default Re: Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolann View Post
Grant has been requested to see his GP for a medical assessment, as the DVLA are reviewing his licence, does anyone have experience of this. I want to reassure him if I can.

He loves driving and is still competent, alot better than I am lol
Hi Nicolann.

Don't know if I can give you any reassurance, just our experience... After hubby tested positive and symptomatic we were advised to notify DVLA... They then asked for him to do a Driving Assessment Test..( He didn't have a G.P. assessment). Unfortunately he failed and his licence was revoked immediatley........... He found it really hard to deal with. I do hope you have a better outcome. x
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 03:49 AM   #3
shiraz
Approved Member

Hi Nicholann.. For a few years I was terrified to be in the car with Hubs driving because he just wasn't right though he still went like a bat out of hell...he loved to drive. About 9 years ago he stopped driving for a while because of another illness and then five years ago it became obvious to me that really and truly he was an accident waiting to happen - too close to cars, clipping wing mirrors, hitting brake/accelerator by mistake, pulling out into roundabouts unsafely, going the wrong way, just not a nice experience. Luckily he never went far but used to practice getting 'better' on a quiet sunday morning and I used to think you have driven for 50+ years why do you need to practice to get 'better'?. For me, luckily [sorry] but when the consultant who finally diagnosed him said you must not drive it was a blessing in disguise. He said if Hubs insisted and notified the DVLA they would contact him and he would say in his opinion this man should not drive. Hubs believed he had to take a written exam aswell as a driving one and he could not do that - time constraints/writing/anxiety etc. End of day...hard as it is..my overriding thought was this man is not safe, he is an accident waiting to happen and sooner or later would kill someone or himself. It is hard, and he was livid for months, but has slowly realised/accepted that he is not capable. He is retired aswell so had be been working then having to give up driving would have been even harder. There were months and months of angry exchanges and he hated me for it...but....there does come a time.
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 09:08 AM   #4
banda
Approved Member

For a few years hubby's driving declined significantly...his vehicle looked like a stock car after a rough time and the insurance was through the roof. His first referral to a neurologist led to him being told not to drive and he hasn't driven since. This was 6 months or so before any diagnosis and I was thankful. Although he didn't drive far like Shiraz says he was an accident waiting to happen. It was probably the hardest thing for hubby to come to terms with and it took another 6 months before he would return his license to DVLA...I have to say that having to do that should be unnecessary in these days. Since then of course there is now a greater role for me to taxi too....
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 09:55 AM   #5
Cupcake
Approved Member

My experience of this was we were told to write to DVLA once hubby was diagnosed and to inform the insurance company. For the first 3 years they sent the medical to Roger Barker at Addenbrookes, the final year Martin was in hospital because one of his pyscotic/depressive bouts, and misses the appt with Roger Barker, so he replied unable to report/recommend. This triggered an appt to go for driving assessment with DVLA, once he was home from hospital. To be perfectly honest, it was needed, Martins spacial awareness was declining, (not to him of course), but the anxiety of the test put him off going. He asked me to contact them and say he would not be driving anymore, I think in his mind that was better than failing and feeling he had been in control of when to stop.

My feeling is, your GP will probably ask Grant a series of questions on his ability to drive, whether he will do any of the tests like they do at clinic, like walking on a tightrope etc, or memory I don't know, but would imagine he will then just send off his recommendation, if there is any doubt or concern he will probably just recommend the DVLA test, if not know maybe in 12 months. I think the GP visit will be quite laid back and Grant need not worry, if he is OK driving and presenting pretty well, the doctor will probably go with that.

Xxxxxxx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 04:20 PM   #6
nicolann
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
My experience of this was we were told to write to DVLA once hubby was diagnosed and to inform the insurance company. For the first 3 years they sent the medical to Roger Barker at Addenbrookes, the final year Martin was in hospital because one of his pyscotic/depressive bouts, and misses the appt with Roger Barker, so he replied unable to report/recommend. This triggered an appt to go for driving assessment with DVLA, once he was home from hospital. To be perfectly honest, it was needed, Martins spacial awareness was declining, (not to him of course), but the anxiety of the test put him off going. He asked me to contact them and say he would not be driving anymore, I think in his mind that was better than failing and feeling he had been in control of when to stop.

My feeling is, your GP will probably ask Grant a series of questions on his ability to drive, whether he will do any of the tests like they do at clinic, like walking on a tightrope etc, or memory I don't know, but would imagine he will then just send off his recommendation, if there is any doubt or concern he will probably just recommend the DVLA test, if not know maybe in 12 months. I think the GP visit will be quite laid back and Grant need not worry, if he is OK driving and presenting pretty well, the doctor will probably go with that.

Xxxxxxx
Thank you cupcake

Grant's driving is still good, I am still happy and comfortable for him to drive my nieces around. I would not do this if I felt he was un safe. Thank fully the dr he is going to see, he is comfortable with and he also completed his medical for his bus licence a few years ago.

We had clinic in October, and the consultant asked Grant how he felt his driving was and made no recommendation at the time to consider to stop driving.

Grant decided to give up his bus licence on his own terms and has promised me he will stop driving when he feels he is not safe to do so not when someone else tells him. I hope this will be the case as I dont have the energy to battle with this with him

xx
nicolann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 11:33 PM   #7
banda
Approved Member

If he's still Ok to drive great...and GPs etc will support that...,he should continue to drive for as long as he is safe to do so...and you shouldn't worry about it. xx
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 07:15 AM   #8
Jake
Approved Member

HD has recently been diagnosed with my family and i recieved my own postive test result only last month. I wanted to ask some advise as i've been experiencing unexplained symptoms for around three years (visual/fluidity/motion related). All tests came back clear and it was only when HD was diagnosed in one of my parents did they begin to think my symptoms could be related. I still awaiting to see the Neulogist again.

I'm now stuck in abit of limbo as personally would like to know if the last few years are related to my positive HD result, yet being advised it might be hard to determine and do i really want to push for an answer due to the restrictions that could/would be imposed on me if proven 'symptomatic'.

Is it worth trying to find out if I'm symptomatic? I'm concerned in regards to my driving license as without that i would lose my job (work in the emergency services) and feel that currently im still safe to drive etc.

With my mother her licence was taken off her immediately after her diagnosis and im concerned the same might happen to myself. However my mother was deemed to be far move advanced (10-15yrs) into the condition.

How does It work, are you allowed to be tested every few years, are people allowed to continue to drive once proven symptomatic etc?

Thank you in advance
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 06:05 PM   #9
Gabby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
HD has recently been diagnosed with my family and i recieved my own postive test result only last month. I wanted to ask some advise as i've been experiencing unexplained symptoms for around three years (visual/fluidity/motion related). All tests came back clear and it was only when HD was diagnosed in one of my parents did they begin to think my symptoms could be related. I still awaiting to see the Neulogist again.

I'm now stuck in abit of limbo as personally would like to know if the last few years are related to my positive HD result, yet being advised it might be hard to determine and do i really want to push for an answer due to the restrictions that could/would be imposed on me if proven 'symptomatic'.

Is it worth trying to find out if I'm symptomatic? I'm concerned in regards to my driving license as without that i would lose my job (work in the emergency services) and feel that currently im still safe to drive etc.

With my mother her licence was taken off her immediately after her diagnosis and im concerned the same might happen to myself. However my mother was deemed to be far move advanced (10-15yrs) into the condition.

How does It work, are you allowed to be tested every few years, are people allowed to continue to drive once proven symptomatic etc?

Thank you in advance
Hi jake sorry about your family and your positive test with regard to driving once you notify DLA of the condition they will seek advice from your neurologist and give you a temporary licence my husband has a 2 year one and will need to be tested after that to keep his licence . Its a driving test to see you are capable i believe not like a full driving test .My husband however has chosen not to drive now . but had done for a while with a positive symptom diagnosis . But he had to retire from work so does not need it for work .

Not sure if that helps
take care Gabby
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote