Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntington’s disease

Old 19-08-17, 08:33 AM   #11
shiraz
Approved Member

Default Re: Buttons

Blimey....we should keep this thread going coz these poems are just fabulous, despite their sadness I find them comforting because I guess...I can relate to the emotions within. All you budding poets out there get cracking.....
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 09:11 PM   #12
Allan
Approved Member

Default Buttons and Beaus

It would be very remiss of me not to mention that I certainly get a great deal of "ongoing strength" from the words and songs of American folk singer Woody Guthrie (1912 - 1967):

From Instinct to Institution: Woody’s Words

"I want you to pay a lot more attention to all my words - longer and deeper and quieter and louder than I ever could. You’ll get more out of them than I did around here."

"Here’s my funny feeling over me again.
That lost feeling.
That gone feeling.
That old empty whipped feeling.

Shaky. Bad control. Out of control. Jumpy. Jerky. High tension.
Least little thing knocks my ego down below zero mark.
Everything cuts into me and hurts me several times more than it should.
Everything hits me. A word or a look or an action of anybody here deals me a misery.

I’ve not got strength to go on, nor to see things in the light as they should be. No bodily (physical) pains; just like my arms and legs and hands and feet and my whole body belongs to somebody else and not to me; so ashamed of myself I want to run hide away where nobody can find me nor see how bad I feel. Can they tell by looking at me how useless and weak and flimsy and artificial (and how phoney) I feel?

Worse than this, I ask myself what makes me [break my head???] to try to hide my weak jitters? Why don’t I break down and spill them out all over to the first person I see?
Why don’t I?
Why?

It would all be over (the worst of it) if I could only cave in and fall down and tell everybody how I feel.

My trouble isn’t in the dizzy spell nor the pains not in my [weakly???] feeling, but my worst pains come because I spend every drop of my bodily strength trying to hide my trouble away so you can’t see it; trying to keep you from reading it in my face, or my eyes, or in any words I’d say or in that stumbly way I walk around.

We never try to help our coal miners till our mine caves in; we never can let you help us till our pride caves in, and till our fears cave in.

This business of trying to hide our weaker feelings surely surely must be in all of us. Surely I’m not the only man on this ward that hides all this as long as he can. Everybody does it; everybody tries to hide it so’s you’ll never guess how bad and how empty we feel.

Some of us hide it more (and longer) than others. Some of us break down under it sooner than others; some talk it out, some weep it out, some yell and scream and curse it out, some battle and fight it out; all of us drive it out in our own way, but all of us must get your help, must borrow your bosom to cry on, must ask you to help us, must break our damn fool secrecy and our damn fool pride on your shoulder.

Why do I stall off my own breakdown like I do? … Could be partly because I’ve just never been in a hospital like this before and my own crazy pride keeps holding me back from breaking down and letting you know how thin and how bad and how miserable I feel."

“New Years’ Rulin’s”

On the 1st January 1943, Woody produced a list of 33 “New Years’ Rulin’s”. These New Year’s Resolutions represent Woody’s personal aspirations: a mixture of hygiene, creativity, practicalities and desire.

1. Work more and better
2. Work by a schedule
3. Wash teeth if any
4. Shave
5. Take bath
6. Eat good - fruit - vegetables - milk
7. Drink very scant if any
8. Write a song a day
9. Wear clean clothes - look good
10. Shine shoes
11. Change socks
12. Change bed cloths often
13. Read lots good books
14. Listen to radio a lot
15. Learn people better
16. Keep rancho clean
17. Don’t get lonesome
18. Stay glad
19. Keep hoping machine running
20. Dream good
21. Bank all extra money
22. Save dough
23. Have company but don’t waste time
24. Send Mary and kids money
25. Play and sing good
26. Dance better
27. Help win war - beat fascism
28. Love mama
29. Love papa
30. Love Pete
31. Love everybody
32. Make up your mind
33. Wake up and fight

Old 26-09-17, 03:41 PM   #13
jacqueline
Approved Member

Default Re: Buttons

Allan and Jaq,

Very thought provoking verses.
I am not a verse person but occasionally I come across some that I just have to read until the end.
The reason I have to read until the end is usually because it hits me like a hammer. Very very affecting to me.
jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote