Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Genealogy, children, PGD

Genealogy, children, PGD Discuss family and preimplantation genetic diagnosis issues

Old 13-03-17, 12:26 AM   #1
scarrigan89
Approved Member

Default Mam had HD, I don't want to be tested where do I stand with children

Hello

I am a 27 year old woman studying to be a nurse, my mam was formally diagnosed 9 years ago with HD she is 66 and lately everything is a struggle. She is currently in a neurological hospital trying to get on top of the anxiety she ha. She's went from a size 22 to 14 and still losing weight.

I have a very supportive partner, he's been my rock lately, however he has already been married and has two gorgeous children. We have spoke bout our future and agree we would like children however both of us do not want to risk having a child with HD. I Myself so not want to be tested for HD.

What are our options? My mams consultant does t give me much info when I ask and is always very vague with me
scarrigan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-17, 01:58 AM   #2
SilverMoon
Approved Member

Default Re: Mam had HD, I don't want to be tested where do I stand with children

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrigan89 View Post
Hello

I am a 27 year old woman studying to be a nurse, my mam was formally diagnosed 9 years ago with HD she is 66 and lately everything is a struggle. She is currently in a neurological hospital trying to get on top of the anxiety she ha. She's went from a size 22 to 14 and still losing weight.

I have a very supportive partner, he's been my rock lately, however he has already been married and has two gorgeous children. We have spoke bout our future and agree we would like children however both of us do not want to risk having a child with HD. I Myself so not want to be tested for HD.

What are our options? My mams consultant does t give me much info when I ask and is always very vague with me
Right my cousin had her son via IVF and she has never been tested. They initially had IVF for fertility problems and then got the funding on a second go I think for making sure their child was HD free. You'd need to get a referral by your GP, but you do not need to be tested for HD at all to get the funding. My cousin has a sweet little boy who is HD free.
SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 12:17 AM   #3
Jharr
Approved Member

Default Re: Mam had HD, I don't want to be tested where do I stand with children

Hi,

My partners Mum has HD and he doesnt want to know if he has it or not. We fell pregnant naturally and had a CVS test on the baby. You can test to see if the baby is going to be high or low risk of having the gene and you therefore do not find out if you have it. Unfortunately for us the baby was high risk so we decided not to continue with the pregnancy. We then opted for IVF with PGD. Basicallly they test the embryo in the same way before putting it back inside. We now have a son.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to contact me if you would like more information.

X
Jharr is offline   Reply With Quote