Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Genealogy, children, PGD

Genealogy, children, PGD Discuss family and preimplantation genetic diagnosis issues

Old 29-03-17, 12:41 PM   #1
Pgdjourney

Default Anyone with PGD or CVS experience?

Hi, I apologise in advance for the length of this post!
I am new to the message board - I'm 24 years old and soon to be married to my childhood sweetheart! I am untested for HD but am at risk. I have been off work the last two days (partly due to IBS but also find myself being quite down about my mums HD symptoms at the minute as she's really worsened and I feel like I've lost her completely now. Anyway, the time I've had off has given me the chance to reflect on my own life and what I want from it. So this has led me to think about having children. I know I am what could be considered very young still, but I know these things take a while so I want to start early!

So my question is, has anyone undergone either PGD or CVS? How did you find the experience and how long did it take? (I.e with PGD how long from starting the application to first attempt at implanting and how many attempts did it take you? And with CVS how many terminations did you have to undergo?)

Thank you so much, I feel quite lonely with this as I don't know anyone who has gone through the process so any help would be much appreciated! X
Pgdjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-17, 06:02 PM   #2
Ros
Approved Member

Default Re: Anyone with PGD or CVS experience?

Hi, I'm sorry to hear what you're going through at the moment. I have experience of cvs as my husband is hd positive. I have had 4 pregnancies and have two healthy children, having made the awful decision to have two terminations, the most recent 5 months ago. I really can't over emphasise how terrible it is psychologically to have a termination, so so traumatic and stressful. They do the cvs at around 11 weeks, which doesn't sound long to wait but it feels like forever, then if positive you are expected to have the termination immediately.
We decided against PGD as they only fund one cycle and the odds for success weren't that good when we started the process 8 years ago but I think things have really improved now.
Best of luck, Ros
Ros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-17, 06:47 PM   #3
Pgdjourney

Default Re: Anyone with PGD or CVS experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros View Post
Hi, I'm sorry to hear what you're going through at the moment. I have experience of cvs as my husband is hd positive. I have had 4 pregnancies and have two healthy children, having made the awful decision to have two terminations, the most recent 5 months ago. I really can't over emphasise how terrible it is psychologically to have a termination, so so traumatic and stressful. They do the cvs at around 11 weeks, which doesn't sound long to wait but it feels like forever, then if positive you are expected to have the termination immediately.
We decided against PGD as they only fund one cycle and the odds for success weren't that good when we started the process 8 years ago but I think things have really improved now.
Best of luck, Ros
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate your honesty, it sounds like you've been through a lot. There problem is every option seems to be physically and mentally draining I can't decide which is better for us!

Thanks again
Pgdjourney is offline   Reply With Quote