Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Genealogy, children, PGD

Genealogy, children, PGD Discuss family and preimplantation genetic diagnosis issues

Old 15-08-17, 01:45 PM   #1
Terentia

Default Experience of PGD?

Hello everyone.

I have just received my positive HD result and we are now hoping to proceed down the PGD route. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience that they would be willing to share with me?

In particular, I am keen to understand what sort of timeframe (and hurdles) to expect along the way. I am quite anxious as a I am 35 and currently have no children.

I want to be able to give it my best shot (currently on a diet to get my weight down!).
Terentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 01:55 AM   #2
Ange<3
Approved Member

Default Re: Experience of PGD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terentia View Post
Hello everyone.

I have just received my positive HD result and we are now hoping to proceed down the PGD route. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience that they would be willing to share with me?

In particular, I am keen to understand what sort of timeframe (and hurdles) to expect along the way. I am quite anxious as a I am 35 and currently have no children.

I want to be able to give it my best shot (currently on a diet to get my weight down!).
Hi sorry about your positive test result. I have also just received a positive result recently it's a bit of a bummer isn't it! Im sorry as I have not had PGD myself but noticed you had not had any replies and I have been looking up on it a lot as hoping I will be able to have it done myself in a few years. My brother and his fiance however has just been referred for PGD (he is not sure if he carries the gene). There is a slight spanner in the works though as we have lost both our Mam and Dad (Dad had huntingtons) and they are unsure if they can do it as apparently they need blood from them both but are looking into it. I've read a lot of mixed things on here if I'm honest it would be nice to see a few more success stories. Also I have read a few stories of people saying the appointment to actually start PGD has come quicker than expected so fingers crossed you will get something soon. Keep in touch and let us know how your getting on! Best of luck x
Ange<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 01:59 AM   #3
Ange<3
Approved Member

Ive been looking at this blog tonight unfortunately the PGD didn't work but it gives a really good insight into everything.

http://survivinghuntingtons.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1
Ange<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 12:24 PM   #4
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Hi,

My wife and I went through PGD last year and were fortunate enough to be successful on the 2nd attempt. We now have a HD free 2 month old baby boy. I can only speak for our experience at Birmingham Women's Hospital, after our initial appointment with the Dr to discuss what's involved in the process it took nearly a year for us to then start the 1st attempt as they were busy. It might be different at your nearest clinic, but if you want to get started I would suggest being as quick as you can. Once we started the process it was super quick, 2 weeks of daily injections for my wife and plenty of visits to the Hospital for checks, be prepared to take time off work for the appointments. We had the emotion of not succeeding with our first attempt, but we knew there were 2 more to go so we were able to pick ourselves back up and our 2nd attempt started a few months after the first ended. We got more eggs on the 2nd attempt (15), then we had 8 embryos left which were sent for the genetic test, only 1 was good after that. We felt quite down that we had only 1 embryo left but they said it was a very healthy and strong embryo which had been growing nicely in the lab for those days and so it proved to be as a couple of weeks later my wife did a pregnancy test and got the good news. Fortunately the pregnancy went ok for us and our little baby is now here and we are adjusting to being parents for the first time. Not everyone is so fortunate, we are very aware of that. Go for it but be prepared for a rollercoaster ride of emotions and have a plan b or indeed c if IVF PGD doesn't work after 3 attempts.

All the best
Matt
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-17, 07:37 PM   #5
LECS
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terentia View Post
Hello everyone.

Hi I have no experience of PGD but I wanted to say how very sorry I am to read that you have received a positive result. I hope that you get the information that you need. Best wishes Lily.
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 01:23 PM   #6
jacqueline
Approved Member

Good luck Terentia
I love it when a baby is born HD free..
jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote