Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Fundraising, events, summer camps, support groups

Notices

Fundraising, events, summer camps, support groups Tell us about your UK fundraising activities and local meetings

Old 10-05-08, 02:02 PM   #11
myrna
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to myrna
Default Re: help

Hey Frankie, I was waiting for you at the airport...where were you?
I hope you didn't trick me into emptying the HDA account into yours so you could run off on your own on a different flight! I want to go to Barbados as we planned!

(How did Trish know about it?) lol
Old 13-05-08, 06:12 PM   #12
Eric
Approved Member

I would just like to say a thing or two in behalf of the HDA. The HDA has a very good rating as a charity organization, meaning that the funds are spent well in proportion to the charitable work being funded in ratio to administrative costs. If it is being moved to Liverpool that is a good decision as London is the most expensive city and that move should untie at least some funds or it will get more accommodations for equal money... either way very wise. I am betting there is a wishlist of things they would love to do for everyone. Realities of the economy right now are going to put things on hold, especially on expansion of services. For those who think the small change doesn't matter as you see somewhat large numbers in the funding you might reconsider that feeling now. Just a thousand pounds can mean gas in the regional advisers cars to make necessary trips to homes or postage to get out newsletters to thousands. It will help to keep this board up and running. It may help keep the group meetings going. The lights need to be on at the office too and the phones turned on... and someone needs to be there to answer them. Never begrudge a charity the basic costs of just functioning. Make sure a portion of your donations go for that. The work you do does matter and your personal gifts do too. In tight economic environments they matter that much more in fact. I am going to send in a small donation. If I can fill up one car with a tank of gas so that someone gets a needed visit or the light bill gets paid for an hour... it's worth it. I have been the recipient of such help over here in the US and whoever donated the money that helped me, that $50 or $100 made a world of difference in my life at the time. Thousands through fundraising events had to have done the same for many people like me. The effort you put out does make a difference to someone, somehow through the HDA.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-08, 08:16 PM   #13
myrna
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to myrna

Thanks Eric, you made some good points. HDA do a great job & every penny counts, no matter how small.
Old 16-05-08, 08:21 AM   #14
Toni
Approved Member

Hi,

I just set up a monthly standing order. Hopefully if a few more of us do the same it will make a big difference.

Toni x
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-08, 12:57 PM   #15
julia
Approved Member

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all your fantastic responses, i had never posted on the message board before but i was so worried by what i had heard that i thought anything would be worth a try! after all if we donít know there is a problem then how can we try and help?!

From what I can gather the H.D.A need approximately £1 million a year (someone please correct me if I am wrong!), now that sounds pretty daunting, but it works out to be £83333.33 a month, so if 8333 (and a 1/3) people all make a standing order for £10 a month then we are covered Ė Iím giving £20 and so is my Dad, so we only need to find 8329 people to make up the difference (or 4165 if we can convince people to give £20!)

Does anyone know if they can claim gift aid for standing orders? Or is that just for one off donations? if they can we only need to raise £720000 per year = £60000 per month = 6000 people Ė surely we can find that many friends and family between usÖ

Would it be possible for the person who sorts out the website to put standing order details much more clearly on the homepage of the website? (they are no longer on this post)

Keep up the good work! We have to save the H.D.A! Iím sure we can if we all just try!
Julia
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-08, 12:59 PM   #16
hdauk
Administrator
Site Admin

Dear Eric (and all)

I just wanted to thank you for such a positive and realistic response.

What makes working for the HDA so special is the fantastic people we work with - and everyone's response to this compounds that.

Julia - you can set a standing order up and sign up for gift aid by clicking on the "make a donation" button on the top of this page. Hope that helps.

Cathx

Last edited by hdauk; 16-05-08 at 01:32 PM.
hdauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-08, 03:26 PM   #17
julia
Approved Member

Hello again, The button at the top of the page will only let me make monthly donations using a credit card not my debit card - is this normal? it seems a bit daft because no one wants to be racking up debt to donate.

cheers
Julia
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-08, 11:01 PM   #18
David

Hi Trish, I am glad you mentioned mandates...I think it is vital for us to get this sort of thing sorted out now.....things will get harder for the HDA......but even worse as more and more people stop using cheques. No one is going to drive up to a local branch to give cash instead of send a cheque.......this is going to be a real tester.....some supermarkets now don't allow cheques....eventually they will be used less and less. And if anyone is still wondering......yes, certainly the donations from us DO make a big difference......our charity is a small one and the finances are small believe me. We MUST NOT lose any posts, especially the RCA's and everything else is cut to the bone now. It is up to us to help as much as we can. My branch is going to pay the travelling expenses so that our RCA can still come to see us when she can. We do need a higher profile and we need to let people know how bad this disease is.....also to answer a question further up the page....we only have 1 office person, the fantastic Eileen who is about to retire - (2 staff part time in the new office when Liverpool opens up), how many other charities can say that? Our donations are certainly not wasted on non essentials. The work of the HDA is vital and MUCH too important to let it get into serious difficulty. Keep well David
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 05:12 PM   #19
william
Administrator
Site Admin

Hi Suki,

if you contact Head office, they can advise on a bankers draft.

0151 298 3298.

Bill
william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 06:59 PM   #20
DH
Approved Member

Bill, what's the current situation with HDA funding? When this thread was first started a couple of months ago things seemed fairly dire. Just wondered if it was still as critical as it was?