Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 19-08-10, 01:25 PM   #1
Sean
Approved Member

Default Alphabetical List of Drugs, Supplements and Therapies Relating to HD

I came across this list which makes for some interesting reading. It's taken from the Stanford University Huntington's Outreach Project.

http://hopes.stanford.edu/treatmts/i...alphalist.html
Quote:
Here is a simple alphabetical list of the drugs, supplements and therapies that are being considered and investigated as potential treatments for Huntington's Disease. Click on any drug to find a drug summary and a more in-depth description of drug function and mechanics. If at any time you wish to return to the organization by disease mechanism, click here to reach "Treatment vs. Cure": An Introduction to HD Drugs and Supplements. (Note: In no way is this list exhaustive or complete, nor are these drugs, supplements and therapies officially advocated or recognized by medical professionals. The information we present is intended for educational purposes only and should not be construed as offering diagnoses or recommendations.)
Drugs, Supplements and Therapies Being Investigated as Potential Treatments for Huntington's Disease:Last Modified: 04/19/2010
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-10, 03:00 PM   #2
Trish
Approved Member

Default Re: Alphabetical List of Drugs, Supplements and Therapies Relating to HD

That's very interesting Sean.

A while back I was building a databse of meds referred to by members of MB. It struck me that even though HD is different in it's symptoms there did seem to be so many different meds for treating what is still one disease. I was worried treatment was being witheld more down to lack of awareness by Drs etc and on costs of treatment. I never did get as far as I wanted to with my spreadsheet (mainly through lack of time on my part and lack of interest by the Members of HDA MB who were asked to provide details if I'm honest) but maybe one day I may do more with it.

This is what I gathered already over what was about the space of 6 months searching.

Name Otherwise known as/Trade name
ACR16
alimemazine
baclofen
Botox
Carbamazepine Tegretol

cipramil

Citalopram Citilipram

clonazepam Klonopin

Clozapine Clozaril

diazepam

Dimebon

DOLMATIL SULPRIDE

Epilim valproic acid

Efexor XL

fluoxetine Prozac
Sarafem

haloperidol HALDOL

hydrocine tablets

Lexapro

lithium Eskalith
Lithobid

Lorazepam

memantine

Mirtazapine

nortriptyline Aventyl
Pamelor

Movical (For constipation)

Olanzapine Zyprexa

Prochlorperazine

PROTHIADEN

Prozac

Quetiapine Seroquel

Risperdone RISPERDAL

Sulpiride

temazepam

TetraBenazine TBZ

trazadone

Valium

Valproate

venlafaxine

zispin

Zoloft sertraline

Zopicione
zuclopenthixol
Old 19-08-10, 06:57 PM   #3
Sean
Approved Member

Default Re: Alphabetical List of Drugs, Supplements and Therapies Relating to HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
That's very interesting Sean.

A while back I was building a databse of meds referred to by members of MB. It struck me that even though HD is different in it's symptoms there did seem to be so many different meds for treating what is still one disease. I was worried treatment was being witheld more down to lack of awareness by Drs etc and on costs of treatment. I never did get as far as I wanted to with my spreadsheet (mainly through lack of time on my part and lack of interest by the Members of HDA MB who were asked to provide details if I'm honest) but maybe one day I may do more with it.
Who or what is MB?

Interesting list - botox though . One must always look their best no excuses!

Scanning through that list of yours there seem to be a lot of SSRIs (anti-depressants), I think some of them are older type anti-depressants (before SSRIs), anti-psychotics and benzodiazepenes (like valium / diazepam).

I would guess that a lot of those are generally prescribed to deal with chorea or psychiatric symptoms once someone has become symptomatic.

Although I was aware that apparently SSRIs have been shown in rats to have a neuroprotective effect in HD and have some benefits to effecting BDNF.

On that first list there are links to studies on many of those substances listed and from the ones I have looked at they seem to be mostly items that are neuroprotective delaying damage caused by the HD protein.
Old 19-08-10, 07:05 PM   #4
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Who or what is MB?
MB - Message Board
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-10, 07:11 PM   #5
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Who or what is MB?

MB equals... Drumrolllllllllllll

Message Board

Interesting list - botox though . One must always look their best no excuses!

Botox has been used for HD and many other diseases but it can be dangerous.

Scanning through that list of yours there seem to be a lot of SSRIs (anti-depressants), I think some of them are older type anti-depressants (before SSRIs), anti-psychotics and benzodiazepenes (like valium / diazepam).

That's my point, and why I connected with your Thread. I'm not sure some GPs are aware of new treatments or HD enough to look at the disease as a whole as opposed to treating the stages of symptoms as they come into force.

I would guess that a lot of those are generally prescribed to deal with chorea or psychiatric symptoms once someone has become symptomatic.

As above

Although I was aware that apparently SSRIs have been shown in rats to have a neuroprotective effect in HD and have some benefits to effecting BDNF.

On that first list there are links to studies on many of those substances listed and from the ones I have looked at they seem to be mostly items that are neuroprotective delaying damage caused by the HD protein.
Another reason for people getting signed up for the research.
Old 19-08-10, 07:29 PM   #6
Sean
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Another reason for people getting signed up for the research.
Yes I agree, another reason to me that if you are at risk but untested to consider being tested or at least pursue some of those things that seem be neuro-protective / delay it's onset.

In an ideal world the medication would be stopping the damage being done in the first place rather than dealing with masking the symptoms but doing nothing for the damage.

Doh MB - should have guessed
Old 19-08-10, 08:16 PM   #7
Scarlett D.
Approved Member

Thanks Trish and Sean - loads of helpful info!
Scarlett D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-10, 01:12 PM   #8
kayleigh
Approved Member

hiyya thhannks for shharinng thiss!
kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-10, 05:36 PM   #9
Diana
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh View Post
hiyya thhannks for shharinng thiss!
Hi

I find the whole meds thing a mine field and cannot help wondering if anyone really knows how things will work esp when they prescribe a cocktail of things.

My Mum has had a stroke and she has had botox injections to relax her hand which has a tendency to claw so that might be its HD use with dystonia (Think that's right extreme stiffness anyway)

Best wishes to you all

Diana
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-10, 07:35 PM   #10
Trish
Approved Member

Looking through this Thread it occurred to me it might be worth posting up a list of medical terms and abbreviations/acronyms somewhere. We all take it for granted that we know stuff. Least I know that I do at times Slaps self on bottom then decides not to do again as she liked it too much

I've made a start but does anyone else have things to add/corrections to make?

I'll get it on a thread somewhere but need to think about where best to post it up. Suggestions welcome

Medical terms:

Alexithymia:
• Difficulty identifying feelings and distinguishing between feelings and the bodily sensations of emotional arousal
• Difficulty describing feelings to other people

Anhedonia:
The inability to gain pleasure from enjoyable experiences.

Aspiration
• To draw in or out using a sucking motion.
• Breathing in a foreign object (such as sucking food into the airway).

Ataxia
‘lack of order’. People with ataxia have problems with movement, balance, and speech.

Cognitive
• The mental process of knowing, including aspects such as awareness, perception, reasoning, and judgment.
• That which comes to be known, as through perception, reasoning, or intuition; knowledge.

Dystonia
Movement disorder which causes involuntary contractions of your muscles. These contractions result in twisting and repetitive movements. Sometimes they are painful.

Myoclonus
In its simplest form, myoclonus consists of a muscle twitch followed by relaxation. A hiccup is an example of this type of myoclonus.

Parkinsonism
Symptoms of Parkinson's disease (such as slow movements and tremors) that are caused by another condition.

Abbreviations/Acronyms

AFIK
As Far as I Know

BDNF
Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (Physical activity-antidepressant treatment)

CBT
Cognitive Behavioral Therapist

HDP
Huntington’s Disease Patient

ICU
Intensive Care Unit

IMHO
In My Humble Opinion

ITU
Intensive Therapy Unit

IYKWIM
If You Know What I Mean

JHD
Juvenile Huntington’s Disease (Person under 21 years of age)

LOL
Laughing Out Loud

MB
Message Board

OT
Occupational Therapist

PCT
Primary Care Trust

PHD
Patient with Huntington’s Disease

PT
PhysioTherapist

RCA
Regional Care Advisor

SALT/SLT
Speech and Language Therapist

SSRI
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (A group of drugs prescribed primarily to treat mental depression)

WYSIWYG
What You See Is What You Get