Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 10-04-11, 07:52 PM   #21
Big Stew
Approved Member

Default Re: Help to Adapt the Bathroom

Amanda has got to attend an assessment with the OT tomorrow, we will see what they come up with ! ! ! Had to fill in loads of forms describing and giving all the measurements in our bathroom.
Big Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 09:36 AM   #22
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stew View Post
Amanda has got to attend an assessment with the OT tomorrow, we will see what they come up with ! ! ! Had to fill in loads of forms describing and giving all the measurements in our bathroom.
Is confused dot com

I always though the OTs visited the premises and judged based on what they assessed on site having seen the person in their home environment?

Ours (the guy from the council in our old place; the lady from the council in our new place; the lady from the Housing Assoc in our new place; the council Social Services Team OT in our new place) all came to us to chat and see Hubs and measure etc.

Mind you... it wasn't until the workman was banging the wall to take out a rail we had put in first time and fold up shower stool to make more room for the shower commode/shower chair did they realise the fold up chair had been set in the wall with rawl plugs (not even the right fixings) and the thing could have fallen off at any time

Good luck
Old 11-04-11, 01:04 PM   #23
jaq
Approved Member

Hi

The Ot came out to visit us . beacuse the bathroom is uspatirs it is not an option to adapt as it is the stairs as much as the bathroom that will be the problem in the loing run.

We are now waiting see if there is the possibility of a grant to put on a downstairs s wet room bathroom but don't feel hopeful at the mo .

Hope you have better luck Stew .
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 04:01 PM   #24
ru
Approved Member

hi jaq, you may be surprised to hear what they come up with , things that dont seem possible are, we had some ridiculous ideas from one ot, but the next one came up with a great solution, mind you it took yonks to actually get it built, about 2 years ! so make sure you let them know your in a hurry x
ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 04:24 PM   #25
Big Stew
Approved Member

Well we have been to see them for an assessment and low and behold they will now have to do a house visit because I told them non of the options they were offering would work on our shape of bath. Hopefully the home visit should be happening in around 2 weeks, any grants will then take between 9 and 12 months if we qualify ,because they are means tested grants ! ! !
Old 13-10-11, 08:16 PM   #26
Big Stew
Approved Member

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/4e74fbb7.jpg
Well I have had the week off and ripped the bath out and replaced it with a walk in shower and enclosure. At least Amanda will now be safe, the wait just wasn't going to be practical for any form of grant
Old 17-10-11, 05:11 PM   #27
Littleme
Approved Member

Looks very smart.
Old 27-09-12, 07:38 AM   #28
DannyAbel

The bathroom is important for our daily life.
DannyAbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 11:49 PM   #29
v10nay
Approved Member

My wife is getting to the stage where I need to start thinking about the adaptions needed as I know it takes a long time for the council; etc... to approve loans / fund the adaptions .

The OT indirectly suggested we move to a better house / then put me on to the financial assesor who asked essentially what income was coming in and how many dependent children we had. Based on these figures I have to contribute £17000 towards any adaptions before the council help . I still have a mortgage to pay - this is not taken into account as apparently my house is a luxury item. As mentioned in one of the earlier posts when you have two teenage children money is very tight . I have had no contact with the OT since then as I presume I will have to fund any adaptions myself.

If my wife was on her own I presume she would have everything done for her - penalised because I have a job and having bought a luxury item - our home.

Having read the posts does not fill me with a lot of hope. Will have to get a second job to pay for adaptions.
v10nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 10:42 AM   #30
Cupcake
Approved Member

Just reading your post makes me so cross, it seems everyone who works hard and tries to do the best by their family can get no help. It is just assumed that you will find the funds. There should be some exceptions to the rule when there is an illness in the background such as HD, families have enough stress in their lives without the worry of finances to try and make their homes more adaptable so their loved ones can stay at home.

I guess we will be in simiilar situation in the future hubby has finished work, we still have mortgage and I am still working, we will have to make changes, as the house is a luxury item we may have to sell when I give up work to care full time. It is all extra stress and worry, along with dealing with the day to day issues of HD.

Sorry no advise or help . Take care xx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote