Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 17-08-08, 12:00 AM   #1
twamoons
Approved Member

Default wet room or shower cubicle

Hi,

I am presently thinking about selling my house and moving to one with no stairs, this is the priority, but after making enquires, I'm now faced with the decision between a wet room and a shower cubicle. I would be interested to know your opinions, and what you are using.

Personally, I'm not sure a wet room is a good idea, they are wet, slippy and I don't think secure for someone that is off balance, if you're in a cubicle at least there are sides on it, providing of course you are able to step into it, and considering our climate, won't they end up being a bit fustie, lol, local word, but I'm sure you know what I mean, I have had a relative that had one, and I thought it was horrible, and they eventually got rid of it.

I'd be grateful for your replies,

Twamoons
twamoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 12:21 AM   #2
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson
Default Re: wet room or shower cubicle

I'm not a fan of the wet rooms either Carole. I can only speak of my experience with dad. We are still in a house with 2 floors, he uses a stairlift to get up to bed. As for baths, we have a special chair in the bath tub which he can sit on and then you turn him into the bath. It's lasted us for 3-4 years. Without these two devices our house would look like a bomb site with some of the suggestions offered to us by whoever they were. They wanted to put a lift in our living room and change the kitchen into a wet room etc etc etc
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-08, 09:37 AM   #3
myrna
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to myrna

Hi Twamoons,

The OTs took away our bath & put in a shower with a long tray that you could push a wheelchair into. They put up a hand rail & a pull down wooden seat.
As they did this several years too early & it didn't suit the rest of the family who prefer baths to showers, we redid the whole thing ourselves. We put the bath back & turned the airing cupboard into a cubicle shower. We were all satisfied for a long time with it that way.

Toward the end though, although Rik needed full support to use the shower, she developed a fear of getting in & out & would shake uncontrolably. (On holiday with her, I used a plastic garden chair in a cubicle & it broke with her in it, which set off her fear).
On her bad days, she had to be lifted in & out & though she was only tiny & I managed, it wasn't ever so easy to do. She shook too hard to be able to step over the base. Also the pull down seat was not at all supportive.

From my point of veiw a shower cubicle with a pull down seat isn't the best idea. I do think all round support from a wheelchair type seat would be better for later years & that needs room to manouvre it.

Hope this helps to give you another perspective to think from. x
Old 17-08-08, 11:13 PM   #4
twamoons
Approved Member

Hi Myrna & Matt,

Thanks for your replies, it does clear up a few points for me, I'm still not up for a wet room, so I'll see what they say about a shower, I don't think a bath will be an option, just noticed I've posted this thread in the wrong place, lol, never mind, hear you soon,

Twamoons
Old 17-08-08, 11:26 PM   #5
Di's_bloke
Approved Member

Hi Carole,

Di started off by having a bath seat that could be raised or lowered by air pressure.
When she was not able to get her legs over the side of the bath, her OTs decided to have the bath ripped out and a bool-in shower put in. I used to bool her in using something like a skeleton commode that was waterproofed and wheeled. It worked!! I ended up getting wetter than she did, but it made her laugh!!

To get her to bed, a through the floor lift was installed (the OTs would not let me have a stairlift as they considered it to be too dangerous!). When Di was downstairs, the lift was parked up in the bedroom, and when we were in bed, the lift was parked downstairs so that we always had maximum space in which to manoeuvre. When Di went into the nursing home, I had it removed.

I hope that this helps!

Di's_bloke.
Old 17-08-08, 11:29 PM   #6
Di's_bloke
Approved Member

Carole.......you'r a woman.......say no more!!

Di's_bloke.
Old 17-08-08, 11:39 PM   #7
twamoons
Approved Member

Hi Di's bloke,

A bool-in shower, that sounds intersting, I will look that up, the house I'm in is no use for stair lifts or any other kind of lift, there's just no room for it. We've sort of come to the point we realise we will have to move, sooner rather than later, not that we want to, we've only been here 7 years, little did we know what was down the line. We may have a chance of getting a house on the flat in a new scheme being built close to ours, if we meet their requirements, we'll be getting a visit from an OT quite soon, I was hoping to get my facts right before this happens, thanks for your help,

Twamoons
Old 17-08-08, 11:43 PM   #8
twamoons
Approved Member

Yes, Di's bloke,

Thanks for reminding me.....if I knew how to work all these smileys and different colours I could send a more interesting reply,lol, never seem to get round to working it out, a womens work, etc....

Twamoons
Old 17-08-08, 11:45 PM   #9
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Good luck hun.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-08, 04:17 PM   #10
CJ
Approved Member

Hi Twamoons

Next week we are starting an adaption to our house.
A bedroom down stairs with on suite wet room

A shower proved in practical years ago as my wife was unable to balance.
The next ( current ) stage has been a bath lift - worked well

We are moving towards the stage were my wife will need a chair like an easy glide
that goes over the toilet then pushes into the shower area.
The flooring will be the non slip type - not tiles

Others seem to go through similar stages.

I would say that if we were starting with adaptions now I would go for the wet room
straight away.
It has taken us a year to get from " we need an adaption " to the builder starting.
The point I would make is that this kind of thing is better sorted when not under the stress of a desperate need.

Hope this help come back to me if you need more info.

Kindest regards CJ
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote