Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > New Members

New Members Introduce yourself, and get to know how the HDA Message Board works

Old 24-07-17, 11:08 PM   #1
Ange<3
Approved Member

Default Hello everyone

Hello everyone,

I just thought I'd introduce myself to everyone on this board. My name is Angela I'm 26 and my Dad had HD. He inherited this from his Mam and his symptoms started around age 29. He passed away last year aged 60. I've always pushed this away in the back of my head but felt like because I'm at an age where I will be wanting kids etc in the next few years I should get tested and am currently awaiting on my results (appointment is Thursday). The very thought of getting these has my stomach in knots. One minute I'm ok and the next I'm sobbing my heart out at the very thought of a positive result. I feel like I may have symptoms as a lot of people comment on my memory problems (it's like a current joke in both of my jobs as it's that bad!) also I feel I may have anxiety and am definitely getting mood swings and letting things wind me up more than I used to which people have also commented on. I'm also at a loss with what to do with my partner. I'm not sure if I should have him at the appointment with me or if it would be easier if he wasn't there as I'm not even sure wether he will want to stay with me if it's a positive result and I'm not sure if they will be discussing the amount of repeats and things which he doesn't know the meaning of. Does anyone know how the results appointment goes? Do you get the result straight away when you go in?

Thank you for your time.

Angela
Ange<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 08:59 AM   #2
glasshalffull
Approved Member

Default Re: Hello everyone

How did everything go?. wishing you the best. xx
glasshalffull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-17, 02:09 AM   #3
Ange<3
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshalffull View Post
How did everything go?. wishing you the best. xx
Hi unfortunately I tested positive xx
Old 13-08-17, 11:11 PM   #4
Crystal
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange<3 View Post
Hello Angela......so very sorry to see these words......a few words.... yet they speak volumes to us all. Others on this message board will be here to help and support you in any way that they can.

Thinking of you
Crystal
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 09:20 PM   #5
Hoping81
Approved Member

Quote:
Ange. Ive been thinking about you. Hope your holding up. Im really sorry to hear about your result. This really is a S###y thing. I know im new to this and im still waiting on my results but im here for you if you need to chat. Xxx
Hoping81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-17, 04:10 AM   #6
Ange<3
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
Hello Angela......so very sorry to see these words......a few words.... yet they speak volumes to us all. Others on this message board will be here to help and support you in any way that they can.

Thinking of you
Crystal
Hi Crystal thanks for your message. It's taking quite a while for everything to sink in at the moment but I'm sure in time I will start to get my head around things. I think it's scary enough knowing you are at risk of having it but knowing you actually have it is a completely different thing all together x
Old 20-08-17, 04:16 AM   #7
Ange<3
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping81 View Post
Ange. Ive been thinking about you. Hope your holding up. Im really sorry to hear about your result. This really is a S###y thing. I know im new to this and im still waiting on my results but im here for you if you need to chat. Xxx
Hi thanks hoping. It's definitely not what I wanted to hear and I am struggling to let it sink in but that's probably normal. I'm just trying to get on with everything now. It's all I can do really. Need to try and keep healthy and excercise to hopefully keep it at bay for as long as I possibly can. Do you know when you get your result? Xx
Old 20-08-17, 10:56 PM   #8
Hoping81
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi thanks hoping. It's definitely not what I wanted to hear and I am struggling to let it sink in but that's probably normal. I'm just trying to get on with everything now. It's all I can do really. Need to try and keep healthy and excercise to hopefully keep it at bay for as long as I possibly can. Do you know when you get your result? Xx
Think its going to be in the new year now. Ive waited 3-4 months for my second appointment. So process is quite slow. I dont want to find out over christmas period so i new year it is.
Hoping81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-17, 07:31 PM   #9
LECS
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi. I am so very sorry to read this, it breaks my heart to see more and more people receiving this news. I too tested positive around your age. You probably know a lot about the condition with your dad having it. I hope you find people who can be supportive to your needs and can be understanding of your condition. Put yourself first. If you need to ask anything, I am always happy to answer any questions you may have. Sending you lots of love. Lily.
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-17, 01:44 AM   #10
Ange<3
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping81 View Post
Think its going to be in the new year now. Ive waited 3-4 months for my second appointment. So process is quite slow. I dont want to find out over christmas period so i new year it is.
Fingers crossed for a negative result xx