Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntington’s disease

Old 27-05-15, 12:29 AM   #1
Melody
Approved Member

Default Guests!

Online this evening I see there are 32 guests... I am guilty as charged, before and after signing up and taking the plunge....We all lurk, but just want to say to anyone out there, with HD in your family, join up and get all of the advice that so many on here can give you. We are all in the same boat.
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-15, 11:06 AM   #2
Allan
Approved Member

Default Re: Guests!

Hi Melody

I occasionally post similar messages to yours after doing a bit of number crunching but I have just come across something I can’t fathom out:

The current membership listed in HDA Message Board Statistics at the bottom of the front page = 3,946. However, If you look in Community and then Members List the display will show 629 members.

If you then click Posts and then click the green arrow you will see that people with less than 3 posts are not listed\shown\identified.

So does that mean that there are 3,317 “members” who have posted less than 3 times and are, therefore, not shown.

At 11.00 am today there were 33 (1 member and 32 guests) Currently Active Users. Last night at 12.29 when you posted your message the numbers were almost identical. Being a global users Message Board we could assume that, at different times of our UK day, there will be a variety of global viewers – or, maybe even, that viewers do not log off and are, therefore, counted as being active on board when, in fact they might be out for a bike ride or doing some gardening.

You can also click on Currently Active Users for a listing of who is using the Message Board, viewing which categories and which threads.

I just wish there was a way in which we could get the 3,317 lost members on board and active in relevant discussion – or asking questions, looking for advice or just blatant rants’n’raves.

We are here for you.

Old 27-05-15, 08:36 PM   #3
Flapjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Hi Melody

I occasionally post similar messages to yours after doing a bit of number crunching but I have just come across something I can’t fathom out:

The current membership listed in HDA Message Board Statistics at the bottom of the front page = 3,946. However, If you look in Community and then Members List the display will show 629 members.

If you then click Posts and then click the green arrow you will see that people with less than 3 posts are not listed\shown\identified.

So does that mean that there are 3,317 “members” who have posted less than 3 times and are, therefore, not shown.

At 11.00 am today there were 33 (1 member and 32 guests) Currently Active Users. Last night at 12.29 when you posted your message the numbers were almost identical. Being a global users Message Board we could assume that, at different times of our UK day, there will be a variety of global viewers – or, maybe even, that viewers do not log off and are, therefore, counted as being active on board when, in fact they might be out for a bike ride or doing some gardening.

You can also click on Currently Active Users for a listing of who is using the Message Board, viewing which categories and which threads.

I just wish there was a way in which we could get the 3,317 lost members on board and active in relevant discussion – or asking questions, looking for advice or just blatant rants’n’raves.

We are here for you.

Hi I am one of those lurking in the back ground. I don't have HD in my family but one of my best friends does. I joined not to pry but to try and understand how best I could support her. I understand it is easier for her to talk to people in a similar situation and that she doesn't want to burden her friends with all her stresses but I wanted to be there for her and felt totally useless as to how I could. Reading the posts gives me an indication on when my friend needs a call. I admire everyone who posts on here and have shed a tear and had a laugh along the way. My heart goes out to you all. You are all amazing people. xxx
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-15, 12:11 PM   #4
shiraz
Approved Member

Hi Everyone

The number of anonymous guests used to really concern me Melody. Made me feel unsafe. But this topic has been raised a few times and each time someone steps forward to say "I'm a lurker because" - as Flapjack has done here. Doesn't want to post so much as learn and understand so they can support their friend - how lovely

I frequently come on the MB in the middle of the night and mooch around without logging on, unless I am going to post it's just what I do. So, I am probably messing up the figures Allan - oops And I lurked for months before plucking up the courage to join. It's those spiders that concern me, I still don't understand who they are
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-15, 12:18 PM   #5
Allan
Approved Member

Hi J [late posting last night – were you out on the razzle?]

I just want to pull out two of your comments and expand:

Does it really matter truly?

I think it matters a great deal. When I recently posted my JHD Project info on the HDA facebook page the comments made were by a few people from hd-families who were not hiding the disease but were somewhat unaware of the overall impact of this disease including their own lack of services – ie a Multi-Disciplinary Team working on their behalf. The only way we, as families, can now have a voice - post-APPG - is not politically, nor via Patrons, nor via medical personalities, etc. ...... but through the VOICE our own collective hd-family.

You’ve only got to see what progress is being made in Scotland by the fact that they are broadcasting their hd-news loud and clear. They will be heard. So, to the 3,317 viewers, watchers, lurkers out there, just come on board one time and say hello. We really do need to know how many people\families in the UK are harbouring this disease. That’s when we’ll get our own strong voice – and action.

After about 20 minutes a member is logged out anyway.

I don’t understand this as I have never been logged out and I never logout myself. Do you mean when creating a message or viewing the message board? We know that you can get logged out and lose a message when Private Messaging – but, in general terms, I have never come across being logged out.

There used to be a logout box at the top right I think – it’s not there now. Anyway, if you stay logged in when you’ve finished here or are closing down for the day, then when you later switch your machine on – whether it’s an iPad, iPhone, Android, Tablet, Laptop, PC or an old fashioned typewriter like mine – you shouldn’t have to repeatedly log on.

Okey doke .....

Old 28-05-15, 10:42 PM   #6
Cupcake
Approved Member

This is all getting too complicated for me.

Usual amount of people looking 29 guests and 2 members.
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-15, 10:58 PM   #7
Melody
Approved Member

Thanks Allan for your input, sorry didn't want to cause any problems. I had just noticed the number of guests on several occasions and really just wanted to invite them in. I am a lurker as well and really just log in to post. Happy days eh!
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-15, 11:13 PM   #8
Stuart
Approved Member

I've been lurking and not logging in lately too I'm afraid.
Too much stuff going on and not feeling like sharing.
I also find the numbers of active members confusing, it always seems to be around the same number.
It would be great if we could see that there were more people active on this site.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-15, 01:50 AM   #9
toosh
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Hi I am one of those lurking in the back ground. I don't have HD in my family but one of my best friends does. I joined not to pry but to try and understand how best I could support her. I understand it is easier for her to talk to people in a similar situation and that she doesn't want to burden her friends with all her stresses but I wanted to be there for her and felt totally useless as to how I could. Reading the posts gives me an indication on when my friend needs a call. I admire everyone who posts on here and have shed a tear and had a laugh along the way. My heart goes out to you all. You are all amazing people. xxx
Bless you Flapjack
This really is the best help you can give to your friend. Although you are not living with HD reading some of the posts will certainly help you to understand some of the frustrations with HD
Toosh
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-15, 10:14 AM   #10
shiraz
Approved Member

Hi All

Nice to hear from you Stuart, and that you are still checking in. I hope your move is going okay and that you'll end up settled and happy. Trying times. I think you would say life has thrown you a curve-ball?

If only for a second, a little smile raises the spirits, so, check out Allan's Etsy typewriter. Way to go!!! Looks boss Retro-chic
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote