Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Carers, things that have helped

Carers, things that have helped Share your experiences of caring, and pass on practical advice and helpful tips

Old 16-08-08, 05:39 PM   #11
CJ
Approved Member

Default Re: Listening

Hi Myrna

Thanks for a great post - I will need to read this several times to take it in !
I need it !

MODS - I think this is another candidate for a " sticky"

keep going well

Myrna
kind regards from
CJ
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-08, 02:52 PM   #12
Diana
Approved Member

Great posts. I think this waiting time is the hardest thing for us all when communicating with Peter. Jim Pollard is brilliant at getting inside understanding of having HD.

I needed a reminder. Thank you , Myrna

Diana
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-08, 05:15 PM   #13
Jan2008
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrna View Post
When I did my jHD presentation recently, I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Pollard & listening to his presentation. I was fascinated by the explanation below & wished I had known it a lot sooner.

I think you'll find this really useful.

(stolen from HDAC & SteveI)
================================================== =======
One of the icons in the HD community is Jim Pollard. I've admired him for many years and regret having the opportunity to visit with him only once every year or two. He shared an important lesson with one of the other groups and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me passing it on.

This article by Jim was originally written for the Spring 2008 issue of HOPE, the annual magazine of the Huntington's Disease Association of Ireland. Their website is [www.huntingtons.ie].

Tommy's Listening Lesson

A popular book calls listening a "sacred art." It certainly is! Listening is active, or so I've learned. For some of us, myself included, it's a skill that needs lots of practice to achieve mastery. I'm a person who has an answer on the tip of his tongue before a question is completed. I need to make a conscious effort to wait until my family and friends finish their sentences. While they're speaking to me, I'm looking into their eyes and struggling to impede my impulsive response to them. Not surprisingly, what I assumed that they were going to say was often different from what they actually said.

By nature I'm not a good listener. I'm not alone. There are others just like me. We tend to be one step ahead in our conversations with others. Moments of silence during discussions unsettle us. We feel compelled to fill silence with words. They often don't have to be relevant to the conversation. They relieve our discomfort with silence. Huntington's Disease challenges people like us.

Actually, though, it challenges people with HD to an even greater degree.
They have to interact with us! Some of them may depend on us for assistance in their daily lives. From moment to moment they live with the cognitive challenges of HD. These changes affect how well they can deal with those of us who cannot actively listen and can't wait to take our turn in a conversation.

HD impairs the efficient function of thousands of brain cells. This accounts for slower processing of information. It takes longer to take it all in, to think about what you want to say and then to actually say it. Before their HD began to show itself, folks did this instantly and unconsciously. Now the same thought processes take longer. It may take one second or several seconds to respond to a question. In an ideal world their families and communities would be made up of people not like me. Their worlds are better populated with spouses, children, parents and neighbors who do listen and can wait for an answer better than I can.

Tommy was a dear friend. I met him after HD had begun to affect his speech and thinking. Even then, he was a master teacher to me as he explained some of the ways that HD challenged his thinking. One evening he was reminiscing about his family with me. He told me about his daughter's childhood. He spoke one sentence at a time with extended pauses before he'd share his next thought. It was a warm conversation, just Tommy and me. I was fascinated by the details of his life.

As tactfully as I tried to keep the conversation going, I sensed that Tommy was becoming increasingly exasperated with me. Increasingly unnerving tension began to replace the warmth of his reminiscences. I wasn't sure what was happening between us. He told me about his daughter's first day of school decades ago now. He paused. I waited for his next thought. I waited a bit longer but not long enough. At the moment he began speaking again, so did I. As soon as he heard me speak, he stopped. I apologized for stepping on his words and waited for him to begin speaking again.

I waited again. As if we had choreographed it, we both began speaking at precisely the same second. I apologized one more time. I sensed Tommy was a bit more annoyed. I felt that a greater apology was in order. "Tommy, I'm sorry that I keep tripping over your words. I am trying to listen but I'm not doing a very good job of it. Again, I'm sorry, Tommy."

He looked at me and said nothing for several seconds. Hoping that he would, I waited a few moments longer. Not wanting to make the same mistake yet again, I waited even longer. Tommy began to speak. "Every time that you do that it sets my timer back to the beginning."

Without missing a beat, I asked, "You mean every time I step on your words you have to start over again?" I realized immediately that I had done it again! I failed to wait. Too embarrassed to apologize again, I waited for his answer. I waited so many seconds that I was sure he had given up on me and wasn't going to say anything else.

Just then, I was silently lamenting that my impatience had ruined our warm moments of reminiscing, he said, "Yes."

I said, "Tommy, tell me if I understand this now? Every time that I don't wait long enough to let you speak, you have to start thinking all over again about what you're going to say, right?"

I waited again. Those twenty to thirty seconds of silence seemed like a lifetime to me. Then, just when I thought he would say nothing further, he said, "It's annoying." I finally understood that every time that I stepped on his words or asked the same question again because I thought he didn't understand me, he had to begin to formulate his idea and plan his answer all over again. How annoying it must have been to think and rethink his answer simply because I wasn't giving him enough time! Suddenly it dawned on me that I had been doing this for years in our conversations. I recalled the many times that I believed he was irritable or just didn't want to speak with me.

I was well aware that many people with HD had difficulty organizing their thoughts and expressing them. I was unaware, though, of my role in making it even more difficult for him. I waited for a few moments to pass. I simply said, "I'm sorry, man."

Tommy looked up at me for a few seconds. "That's OK, Jim." I let a few more moments pass. "My wife dressed my daughter so cute." He paused a few more seconds. "She put ribbons in her hair." I listened, smiled and waited.
"She's twenty-three now." The reminiscing continued.

I still have difficulty waiting through silent pauses in conversations.
Sometimes I have to repeat silently to myself over and over, "Silence is golden." Or "Listening is a sacred art." I've learned that I have to sit down, turn off the TV, close the door and actively listen. I still have to remind myself to not set his ticker back to start. I'm getting better at it, though.

Thanks, Tommy! Lesson learned. Thank you, teacher, for patiently enduring my impatience. Had I only understood earlier.
SUPER peice i had to read it slowly you wrote that so well you toogot the message across thanks myrna mademe think reading that peice written beatifuly jan 2008
Jan2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 01:30 PM   #14
Trish
Approved Member

Although this Thread is what we call a Sticky (One that remains at the top of the Forums) I'm not sure if everyone goes into Message Board from the same Front Page.

In my efforts to flag up posts and discussions that I felt were very useful in helping me care for Hubs, I wanted to highlight this Thread. I also wanted to promote Jimmy's book again which was a revelation!

The book is available from Lulu in the USA but an easier source is via the HDA's Book shop:

HDA Book Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrna View Post
When I did my jHD presentation recently, I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Pollard & listening to his presentation. I was fascinated by the explanation below & wished I had known it a lot sooner.

I think you'll find this really useful.

(stolen from HDAC & SteveI)
================================================== =======
One of the icons in the HD community is Jim Pollard. I've admired him for many years and regret having the opportunity to visit with him only once every year or two. He shared an important lesson with one of the other groups and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me passing it on.

This article by Jim was originally written for the Spring 2008 issue of HOPE, the annual magazine of the Huntington's Disease Association of Ireland. Their website is [www.huntingtons.ie].

Tommy's Listening Lesson

A popular book calls listening a "sacred art." It certainly is! Listening is active, or so I've learned. For some of us, myself included, it's a skill that needs lots of practice to achieve mastery. I'm a person who has an answer on the tip of his tongue before a question is completed. I need to make a conscious effort to wait until my family and friends finish their sentences. While they're speaking to me, I'm looking into their eyes and struggling to impede my impulsive response to them. Not surprisingly, what I assumed that they were going to say was often different from what they actually said.

By nature I'm not a good listener. I'm not alone. There are others just like me. We tend to be one step ahead in our conversations with others. Moments of silence during discussions unsettle us. We feel compelled to fill silence with words. They often don't have to be relevant to the conversation. They relieve our discomfort with silence. Huntington's Disease challenges people like us.

Actually, though, it challenges people with HD to an even greater degree.
They have to interact with us! Some of them may depend on us for assistance in their daily lives. From moment to moment they live with the cognitive challenges of HD. These changes affect how well they can deal with those of us who cannot actively listen and can't wait to take our turn in a conversation.

HD impairs the efficient function of thousands of brain cells. This accounts for slower processing of information. It takes longer to take it all in, to think about what you want to say and then to actually say it. Before their HD began to show itself, folks did this instantly and unconsciously. Now the same thought processes take longer. It may take one second or several seconds to respond to a question. In an ideal world their families and communities would be made up of people not like me. Their worlds are better populated with spouses, children, parents and neighbors who do listen and can wait for an answer better than I can.

Tommy was a dear friend. I met him after HD had begun to affect his speech and thinking. Even then, he was a master teacher to me as he explained some of the ways that HD challenged his thinking. One evening he was reminiscing about his family with me. He told me about his daughter's childhood. He spoke one sentence at a time with extended pauses before he'd share his next thought. It was a warm conversation, just Tommy and me. I was fascinated by the details of his life.

As tactfully as I tried to keep the conversation going, I sensed that Tommy was becoming increasingly exasperated with me. Increasingly unnerving tension began to replace the warmth of his reminiscences. I wasn't sure what was happening between us. He told me about his daughter's first day of school decades ago now. He paused. I waited for his next thought. I waited a bit longer but not long enough. At the moment he began speaking again, so did I. As soon as he heard me speak, he stopped. I apologized for stepping on his words and waited for him to begin speaking again.

I waited again. As if we had choreographed it, we both began speaking at precisely the same second. I apologized one more time. I sensed Tommy was a bit more annoyed. I felt that a greater apology was in order. "Tommy, I'm sorry that I keep tripping over your words. I am trying to listen but I'm not doing a very good job of it. Again, I'm sorry, Tommy."

He looked at me and said nothing for several seconds. Hoping that he would, I waited a few moments longer. Not wanting to make the same mistake yet again, I waited even longer. Tommy began to speak. "Every time that you do that it sets my timer back to the beginning."

Without missing a beat, I asked, "You mean every time I step on your words you have to start over again?" I realized immediately that I had done it again! I failed to wait. Too embarrassed to apologize again, I waited for his answer. I waited so many seconds that I was sure he had given up on me and wasn't going to say anything else.

Just then, I was silently lamenting that my impatience had ruined our warm moments of reminiscing, he said, "Yes."

I said, "Tommy, tell me if I understand this now? Every time that I don't wait long enough to let you speak, you have to start thinking all over again about what you're going to say, right?"

I waited again. Those twenty to thirty seconds of silence seemed like a lifetime to me. Then, just when I thought he would say nothing further, he said, "It's annoying." I finally understood that every time that I stepped on his words or asked the same question again because I thought he didn't understand me, he had to begin to formulate his idea and plan his answer all over again. How annoying it must have been to think and rethink his answer simply because I wasn't giving him enough time! Suddenly it dawned on me that I had been doing this for years in our conversations. I recalled the many times that I believed he was irritable or just didn't want to speak with me.

I was well aware that many people with HD had difficulty organizing their thoughts and expressing them. I was unaware, though, of my role in making it even more difficult for him. I waited for a few moments to pass. I simply said, "I'm sorry, man."

Tommy looked up at me for a few seconds. "That's OK, Jim." I let a few more moments pass. "My wife dressed my daughter so cute." He paused a few more seconds. "She put ribbons in her hair." I listened, smiled and waited.
"She's twenty-three now." The reminiscing continued.

I still have difficulty waiting through silent pauses in conversations.
Sometimes I have to repeat silently to myself over and over, "Silence is golden." Or "Listening is a sacred art." I've learned that I have to sit down, turn off the TV, close the door and actively listen. I still have to remind myself to not set his ticker back to start. I'm getting better at it, though.

Thanks, Tommy! Lesson learned. Thank you, teacher, for patiently enduring my impatience. Had I only understood earlier.
Old 27-07-15, 11:36 AM   #15
Mark Mountain
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Although this Thread is what we call a Sticky (One that remains at the top of the Forums) I'm not sure if everyone goes into Message Board from the same Front Page.

In my efforts to flag up posts and discussions that I felt were very useful in helping me care for Hubs, I wanted to highlight this Thread. I also wanted to promote Jimmy's book again which was a revelation!

The book is available from Lulu in the USA but an easier source is via the HDA's Book shop:

HDA Book Shop
Thank you for sharing this, I enjoyed reading this and it has honestly opened my eyes.
Mark Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-15, 12:00 PM   #16
Allan
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mountain View Post
Thank you for sharing this, I enjoyed reading this and it has honestly opened my eyes.
Hi Mark

There is so much more detailed information and advice hidden away on this Message Board. I just wish we could get it organised so that searches and "trawling" for specific\relevant info could be made easier. I approached the HDA Management with some tips for website improvement a year ago but, alas, nothing has happened to date.

The post that you have resurrected was first placed here in 2008 - and there are many more hidden away in the depths that are difficult to search for and, therefore, lie forsaken - collecting e-dust in the vaults of yesteryear.

Old 10-08-15, 11:24 AM   #17
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Hey beautiful lady
Long time no speak x Hope you are doing well xxx
Amanda Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote