Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntington’s disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 20-02-18, 10:38 PM   #1
Hoping81
Approved Member

Default The waiting game

I feel like im turning in to a messageboard stalker.
I seem to be checking daily for any new conversations just to simply read/interact with people in similar situation to me.
Its been a few weeks since my blood draw and i dont really know how i feel right now. I feel i should be more anxious than i am and because im not its making me more anxious (if that makes sense). I have support from family and friends but i just dont feel i can tell them how i feel or how they can help. To be honest im not sure how i feel about it all and how i can even help myself. Silly really.
Im trying to prepare myself for the worst and feel bad if i think of the best case.
Anyhoo, just wanted to share my thoughts... anyone else out there in this limbo stage?
Hoping81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-18, 03:17 PM   #2
Spanishgraeme
Approved Member

Default Re: The waiting game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping81 View Post
I seem to be checking daily for any new conversations just to simply read/interact with people in similar situation to me.
Its been a few weeks since my blood draw and i dont really know how i feel right now. I feel i should be more anxious than i am and because im not its making me more anxious (if that makes sense). I have support from family and friends but i just dont feel i can tell them how i feel or how they can help. To be honest im not sure how i feel about it all and how i can even help myself. Silly really.
Im trying to prepare myself for the worst and feel bad if i think of the best case.
Anyhoo, just wanted to share my thoughts... anyone else out there in this limbo stage?
It was 17 years ago that my wife was going through, what your going through now.
I can remember it, like it was yesterday.
In her case, she was found to carry the gene. She decided to put it to the back of her mind and just live every day as if it was her last. Lets face it .......if you spend 20 years worrying about something and then you get knocked over and killed, just before it happens........ you've wasted your life.
I hope that you get the news that you want and you can just put it out of your mind, completely. If however, the news is not what you want to hear ..........try to put a positive spin on it. See it as a kick up the **** to make every day wonderful. Take it as an opportunity. A reason to force yourself to live your life now, not later.

The first thing that you think about as you wake, should be the wonderful and exciting day ahead..........the last thing that you think about as you go to sleep should be what a fantastic day you have just had. If it isn't .............we are doing it wrong.

Best of luck to you...🙂
Spanishgraeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-18, 11:14 PM   #3
Hoping81
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanishgraeme View Post
It was 17 years ago that my wife was going through, what your going through now.
In her case, she was found to carry the gene. She decided to put it to the back of her mind and just live every day as if it was her last. Lets face it .......if you spend 20 years worrying about something and then you get knocked over and killed, just before it happens........ you've wasted your life.
I hope that you get the news that you want and you can just put it out of your mind, completely. If however, the news is not what you want to hear ..........try to put a positive spin on it. See it as a kick up the **** to make every day wonderful. Take it as an opportunity. A reason to force yourself to live your life now, not later.

The first thing that you think about as you wake, should be the wonderful and exciting day ahead..........the last thing that you think about as you go to sleep should be what a fantastic day you have just had. If it isn't .............we are doing it wrong.

Best of luck to you...🙂

I just wanted to say thank you for your kind words. It felt like a text cuddle.😊 which is pretty much what i needed.
Old 03-03-18, 02:45 PM   #4
Dolphin
Approved Member

Hi

Good luck with the test

Dolphin
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 02:35 PM   #5
Hoping81
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanishgraeme View Post

Best of luck to you...🙂

I receieved my test result yesterday.... im negative. Just wanted to thank you all for your support over these past months. I couldnt have had the courage to do it without knowing i had people to talk to who understood.
Old 16-03-18, 06:18 PM   #6
Crystal
Approved Member

Quote:
I receieved my test result yesterday.... im negative. Just wanted to thank you all for your support over these past months. I couldnt have had the courage to do it without knowing i had people to talk to who understood.
Absolutely delighted for you!

Sending my very best wishes
Crystal
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 07:16 PM   #7
Spanishgraeme
Approved Member

Quote:
Fantastic. I'm so happy for you.

It must be a huge weight off your mind.

What a wonderful feeling to wake up every morning, knowing that you've been given such good news.

Best if luck

Graeme
Spanishgraeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 05:23 PM   #8
Gabby
Approved Member

Quote:
great News

Gabby
x
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 06:10 PM   #9
Cupcake
Approved Member

Absolutely fantastic - I think we all get excited when there is a negative result. X
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 08:09 PM   #10
Runningmum
Approved Member

Quote:
Really happy for you and yours x
Runningmum is offline   Reply With Quote