Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Fundraising, events, summer camps, support groups

Fundraising, events, summer camps, support groups Tell us about your UK fundraising activities and local meetings

Old 20-09-08, 12:18 AM   #1
SE7ENS
Approved Member

Default aff ... Feeling totally ripped off

Hello HDA,

I contacted you with regard to this topic ....
http://www.hda.org.uk/board/showthread.php?t=525

I also refer to a quote from:
http://www.hda.org.uk/fundraise/parachute.shtml
"Parachute for FREE!"
"You can jump from any one of over twenty British Parachute Association approved airfields across the UK."

When I applied for the parachute jump I chose St Andrews as a jump location as it was closer to home. I was given Bridlington?? as I was keen to complete this jump I travelled down did my training and didnt get to complete the jump due to poor weather.

This is my fundraising page
http://www.justgiving.com/raymond7

I personally donated £150 ... £100 from myself and £50 from my online friends. I paid for the training myself £300 as well as paying travelling cost of £110 for trainfare and 2 nights at £50 in a hotel.

I got back in touch with the skydive company I quote the emails sent :

Hello Skyline,

I am writing to enquire about a skydive that I was going to do on the 14th/15th march 2008. Unfortunately due to bad weather this did not go ahead. However I did raise money for HD Awareness and paid for the training on the 14th.

I haven't been back in touch since .. although I spoke to a person on the HD Awareness website with regards to the jump .. they informed me that you would be contacting me. At that time I lost my internet connection and didnt receive any mail :(

I would like to ask if it would be at all possible to complete my jump ... and whether its possible to get somewhere a bit closer to home. I went down to Bridlington the last time and stayed in a hotel ... at that time I had a bit of money set aside for travel and abode... but my situation has changed and need somewhere closer to home as I stay in Scotland .... please can you help :)

I would like to leave you with my contact email so I can get anywhere ... please get back to me

Thanks for your time and

All the best
Raymond

Hello Raymond,

Unfortunately, as you have already been to Bridlington airfield and paid for the jump you will not be able to change airfields now.

When you were at the airfield did you get to do your training?

Kind Regards
Carina

Hi Carina,

Thanks for prompt reply. Yea I spoke to a guy called Ray who took me through the training which involed identification of the parachute and parts, procedure for entry and exit of the aircraft and its safety measures., as well as the procedure during the jump itself outlining the troubles of parachute opening etc I still have the documentation.

Its cool for bridlington airport I can travel down there ... Ray mentioned that I may be able to take a tent down and stay if the weathers bad ... its the hotel bill I would stuggle with. It would be great if I could do this as then I would be guarenteed to do the jump when better weather arrives. :)

I still have Ray's mobile number ... but havn't had contact with him for a long time

Thanks again for your time
Raymond

Sent: 08 September 2008
Hello Raymond,

Sorry for such late reply I was out of the office for most of last week. I think the best thing for you to do is to give the airfield a call direct on 01262 677 367 if you have agreed things with them.

And then just let me know the outcome.

Kind Regards

Carina

So now I am faced with forking out another £100 to travel down there as well as having to arrange everything myself ........ !!!
SE7ENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-08, 06:34 PM   #2
SE7ENS
Approved Member

Default Re: aff ... Feeling totally ripped off

Icant as i am now unemployed :(

Thx for your comment ... been thinking of ya

Cheers
Raymond
x
Old 20-09-08, 07:11 PM   #3
frankie
Approved Member

Oh What a shame Raymond, I hope you can get something sorted out and perhaps you can change to St Andrews your original choice. You shouldn't have to pay again.

I will donate when you hear what's happening.
Take care
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-08, 09:39 PM   #4
SE7ENS
Approved Member

http://www.justgiving.com/raymond7

Frankie 02/02/2008 £20.00 n/a Good Luck Raymond

Hi Frankie you already did sponsor me and thanks for it ... just dont know what to do next ...

I chose St Andrews, where Im staying at the moment its like 15mins away only a bus ride so much more convenient ... I had no idea that I couldnt change locations.
Old 20-09-08, 10:35 PM   #5
frankie
Approved Member

Hi Raymond,

I would keep checking the message board in case someone from the HDA tries to sort this out for you. You have raised such a lot of money for HD and you deserve to get your jump one way or another. You are very brave, I couldn't do it.
St Andrews would be so much more convenient for you, particularly with the changeable weather. I think you would have to be trained again at that airport for health and safety reasons and to cover their insurance but hopefully there can be some compromise?
Let us know if you manage to sort anything out.
Take care
Old 21-09-08, 10:52 AM   #6
william
Administrator
Site Admin

I will pass this on to Becky to pick up with the organisers tomorrow.

Bill
william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-08, 06:50 PM   #7
SE7ENS
Approved Member

Hi I received an email from HDA, I am sorry if I caused any inconvience I wasnt aware of the factors involved in AFF ... there is no training in Scotland lol

So I have written by email to the organisers to establish a new jump date. I will call them before the weekend if I haven't heard anything. Some good friends have also come up with transport so I am just awaiting a new date and pray for good weather

Thanks all for your time and support and acting for me I was so confused !

I wish you all the very best and will keep you posted as I get the information

Raymond
x
Old 30-09-08, 07:11 PM   #8
poppysox
Approved Member

Hope everything gets sorted out now do let us know
Old 30-09-08, 08:11 PM   #9
frankie
Approved Member

Hi Raymond,

Let us know how you get on, I hope you get the good weather and can do your jump soon. You are very brave and i hope your friends take some photo's .
Take care
Very best Wishes.XX
Old 30-09-08, 08:44 PM   #10
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Good news Ray
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote