Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis

Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis Forum for medical issues, and for the recently diagnosed (and families)

Old 29-10-16, 09:48 PM   #1
LECS
Approved Member

Default Medication

Hi all. Does anyone have any information, experience of the medication Sulpiride? Thanks Lily
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 11:31 PM   #2
toosh
Approved Member

Default Re: Medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by LECS View Post
Hi all. Does anyone have any information, experience of the medication Sulpiride? Thanks Lily
Not heard of it Lily
Hope you are well x
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-16, 11:37 PM   #3
toosh
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi Lily
just googled Sulpiride and the NHS website states its used to treat psychosis and schizophrena.Can also be used in a low dosage to treat anxiety ans mild depression
x
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-16, 12:43 AM   #4
Allan
Approved Member

Hi Lily

Have a look at this: www.easyhealth.org.uk/sites/default/files/Sulpiride.pdf

Hope all's ok in sunny Norfolk?

Old 30-10-16, 09:30 PM   #5
LECS
Approved Member

Thanks everyone. It's my uncle who has been given the drug when he was in hospital, he went in for dehydration and came out eight days later with a stoma bag and the drug. His 77yr old wife was told it was the drug given to those suffering with HD, it makes me mad when they choose not to tell the full picture. His behaviour and confusion was caused by the dehydration. Fortunately it does seem to be easing symptoms for him he is now sleeping through and not confused and he says that he has no side effects unlike other drugs he has previously tried and he seems happy to be taking it. He is only 64. I asked how they found the professionals that they came in contact with and they said no one understood the condition and the third GP was finally listening but no offer of dietitian support and my aunt on contacting the SHA was told to speak to his GP with no further contact. Makes me very mad. I am seeing Dr. Barker in Cambridge on a Wednesday after my disastrous visit last February when I ran out of the clinic. My dad was sad this week when the clinic sent him a questionnaire asking about mum who passed away a year ago. I have lots to discuss with him!! ...if I am able. Best wishes Lily
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 09:29 PM   #6
SouthCave Graham
Approved Member

Quote:
My wife was on it for a few months, but we found they made her feel so tired and she was falling asleep by 7 pm every night - then waking up early as she'd fallen asleep so early. We switched to Olanzapine which has worked much better....although her movements are noq quite well exagerated she has also in the last few weeks started to take Levetiracetam. usually prescribed for epilepsy but our consultant advises reports have been filed about helping reduce the chorea.
SouthCave Graham is offline   Reply With Quote