Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntington’s disease

Old 10-05-12, 11:46 AM   #1
ru
Approved Member

Default endoscopy and worried

Hi all, hubby has been told by hospital he needs an endoscopy camera down the throat, im so worried about him choking though, he has trouble swallowing sometimes especially when eating he coughs a lot, i keep thinking what if he chokes ! i know its a hospital but im still nervous for him, he had a laproscopy last year that was horendous had to be done twice now this, does anyone know anything that will put our minds at rest ? have you had it done or know anyone that has? , let me know please thanks carol x
ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 03:51 PM   #2
Trish
Approved Member

Default Re: endoscopy and worried

Hi Carol,

Hubs didn't need this done so I have no experience from HD angle. I have had an endoscopy myself though when I was a kid. They told me to open my mouth and they were VERY swift getting the tube in. Once past the gag reflex it was just a bit of an uncomfortable feeling but, to be honest, I was fascinated by watching the thing going down my tube to my tummy as it were as I could see the screen and they were explaining.

I was more nervous when I realised what goes down must come up and the thing would need to be pulled out but they were so skilled and quick at whiping it out I hardly noticed!

Obviously HD factor will be a big question mark but I wonder if it is worth asking if your Hubs can be prescribed a sedative to help relax him?

Distraction was a great help with Hubs, and making a BIG fuss of him after any procedures he had (like blood being taken). Will they let you in to hold his hand and talk him through?