Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntington’s disease

Old 27-05-12, 10:39 PM   #11
B
Approved Member

Default Re: Cag question?

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, this seems a very grey area if you ask me!

I'm asking as I was puzzled thinking that surely the Cag can't go down from generation to generation but wasn't 100% sure.

But thanks for all your comments.

Best wishes to you all

B
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-12, 11:45 PM   #12
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, this seems a very grey area if you ask me!

I'm asking as I was puzzled thinking that surely the Cag can't go down from generation to generation but wasn't 100% sure.

But thanks for all your comments.

Best wishes to you all

B
Very much a grey area, researchers are still learning a lot about CAG repeats and also what other genes or environmental factors impact on HD.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-12, 09:42 AM   #13
HDAPA
HDA Moderator

Hello B
You may find it helpful to read the HDA fact sheet "Predictive testing for Huntington's Disease", if you have not yet done so. It is available to download from this website under "About the HDA" and then under "Online HDA Services"
HDAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-12, 03:40 PM   #14
Blondie
Approved Member

I don't know the Cag repeats of my ex or his mum but he started a good ten years earlier than his MUM and our daughter a good ten years or so earlier than him.So the last 3 generations have all obviously had an increase in cag repeat I guess.From what I can gather his mum started with an average onset in her 30's and died at 46.My ex started in his early 20's and died aged just 35.My daughter has JHD.God knows what caused an average onset in his mum to pass on such an early onset in her son??We got the rarer end of the stick I guess.
Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-12, 05:56 PM   #15
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
I don't know the Cag repeats of my ex or his mum but he started a good ten years earlier than his MUM and our daughter a good ten years or so earlier than him.So the last 3 generations have all obviously had an increase in cag repeat I guess.From what I can gather his mum started with an average onset in her 30's and died at 46.My ex started in his early 20's and died aged just 35.My daughter has JHD.God knows what caused an average onset in his mum to pass on such an early onset in her son??We got the rarer end of the stick I guess.
It sounds like the mother had a high CAG repeat herself as she developed symptoms fairly early on. It is always likely, if the gene was passed on, that it would be early onset for the next generation.

Matt
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote