Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > New Members

New Members Introduce yourself, and get to know how the HDA Message Board works

Old 27-07-18, 02:07 PM   #1
Sarah123

Default Relationships

Hi there,

My brother is in his mid 40's and was told he has the H Gene over 2 years ago. He has been on and off with his girlfriend for the last year or so but seems to have become very obseseed with her to the point where he finds it difficult to leave her alone. They go round and round in circles with the same issues repeating time after time but he still is convinced that they can get back to the good place they were at at the beginning of their relationship.
I am wondering if the huntington's could be causing this obsession. Has anyone else had or know of similar experiences.
Help will be much appreciated
Sarah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-18, 07:07 PM   #2
Gabby
Approved Member

Default Re: Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah123 View Post
Hi there,

My brother is in his mid 40's and was told he has the H Gene over 2 years ago. He has been on and off with his girlfriend for the last year or so but seems to have become very obseseed with her to the point where he finds it difficult to leave her alone. They go round and round in circles with the same issues repeating time after time but he still is convinced that they can get back to the good place they were at at the beginning of their relationship.
I am wondering if the huntington's could be causing this obsession. Has anyone else had or know of similar experiences.
Help will be much appreciated
You say he was told he has the Gene so not be told he is symptomatic yet ?
I think knowing you have the gene can affect your self esteem he may have a fear of being on his own . He also could be obsessed. I do find that and speaking to others with partners and seeing their actions they are very reliant on their partners in the early stages dealing with the issues . they could feel they can't manage without that person . I t can be quite hard on the partner I myself have a husband tested 10 years ago now and been symptomatic for about 4 now . I do feel he is totally reliant on me . It can be overwhelming at times .

take care
Gabby
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-18, 08:19 PM   #3
Zlmd2017
Approved Member

Again I speak from the other side as I'm hd positive how scared do you think it feels too be told you have a horrible genetic disease and more soul destroying too think you've passed it on too your family I currently don't live with my husband and too be honest I don't want too as he just wants a normal life lol there is no normal in the hd world only massive understanding and patience from othersxv
Zlmd2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 06:00 PM   #4
Zlmd2017
Approved Member

Just too say what a stupid reply I made sadly the stress of living with hd can make me consume too many alcoholic drinks at times!!!! I'm putting on a great front too others but I'm struggerling too accept things, I'm speaking in November at a rare neurologist disease conference i will be leaving the beer alone and hopefully speak for us folk with the gene and those that support us xxx
Zlmd2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 03:47 PM   #5
Allan
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlmd2017 View Post
I'm speaking in November at a rare neurologist disease conference i will be leaving the beer alone and hopefully speak for us folk with the gene and those that support us xxx
Hi zlmd

Best wishes for the conference. Would that be Barcelona, Vienna, Paris, Istanbul or another destination? There’s so many conferences on in November.