Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 16-05-14, 09:03 PM   #1
Cupcake
Approved Member

Default PIP

Hubby has been on the lowest level of DLA since coming out of hospital just over 3 years ago. He is now needing more and more support, now he is back home again. At the moment we are managing with me working part time and him going to MS group for a few hours and Headway, and my dear mum popping over to check him and ferry him around the days I am at work.

We are now getting to the stage where we will need to pay someone to come and help a little, we can get no benefits due to me working and hubby getting pension from RAF, and we manage to pay mortgage etc, and pay for his groups to Headway. Additional help is going to cost and the funds are not there, so I have decided to take the bull by the horns and get his DLA reviewed. He has deteriorated over the last 3 years, but. I am worried they will turn us down, on the new system, or we will end up with nothing. Silly really, when mentally he struggles to cope, is extreme key vulnerable, very unsteady on his feet, and very slow now walking, I need eyes in the back of my head at night in case he gets up, etc., Just wondered if anyone had swapped from DLA recently and what sort of things they ask you. Am I right in thinking he will have to go for a medical, the lady in the phone told me it did not matter that he had previously been given a life time award previously, it would be looked at again. I can just imagine the day we go for medical will be a good one for M, and they won't see the person, I do everyday.

Any hints tips, good words and phrases to deal with this would be much appreciated as it sounds like. I have to do telephone application to begin with.

Many thanks
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-14, 10:08 AM   #2
Allan
Approved Member

Default Re: PIP

Hi CC

S is on the highest Mobility and Care levels of DLA. He needs this funding [plus ESA and Housing Benefit] to enable him to exist. His outgoings are substantial: rent, electricity, water, TV License, BT Infinity – all that before he starts thinking about food and clothing. I think you need the Citizens Advice Bureau [or similar] to help you work your way through the system. I am very surprised that there isn’t an RAF Department\Association that deals with ex-employees in need of help, welfare and financial assistance.

Just make sure you have strong letters of support from all the agencies that you have been dealing with in recent times plus the Neurologist, etc from Addenbrookes. You are in charge and you might have to be “pushy” and authoritative in order to get things done to your satisfaction.

Remember that if anything is at fault it is the system. The people that work within the system are human and are very likely to understand and deal with your specific problems in a sincere way.

I am writing this from the North-West of England and if everyone was as open, honest, friendly, committed and congenial as the people I’ve come across this week then he world would be a better place for all.

Cheers

Allan
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-14, 04:23 PM   #3
Allan
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
Hey I bet you are only around the corner from me Allan, I am in the North West too. I am near Bolton,Warrington and Wigan. A finer bunch of folk you will never meet again. Of course I am not biased in anyway. Plus of course we are north of the Watford gap too.
J

The train stops at Warrington and Wigan but I stay on to view the beautiful views [to the left] around Morecambe Bay and [to the right] into the Lake District. Then I'm ready to jump off at Barrow-in-Furness and wedge myself into family life. S is with his mother until Tuesday - she lives in Crete.

So, I'm on the razzle ..........
Old 17-05-14, 10:10 PM   #4
Cupcake
Approved Member

Yes I have to change to PIP, because DLA does not exist now, and I think next year they are reviewing everyone.

You are right DLA is the only benefit not means tested, and I will make sure I can do the application on paper so I have time to think.
Old 22-05-14, 06:35 AM   #5
toosh
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
J

The train stops at Warrington and Wigan but I stay on to view the beautiful views [to the left] around Morecambe Bay and [to the right] into the Lake District. Then I'm ready to jump off at Barrow-in-Furness and wedge myself into family life. S is with his mother until Tuesday - she lives in Crete.

So, I'm on the razzle ..........
Hope you're having a nice break Allan,

Toosh
xxx
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-14, 08:46 AM   #6
Scooby
Approved Member

Hi CC

Best advice I can give (bearing in mind that when we had to apply it was DLA so I don't know how the new system works) and was given to me at that time was when answering the questions ALWAYS answer each question with the worst case sinario, as in what your husbands symptoms are when at their worst/most worrying/most frightening/most dangerous (either to himself or others).

Be very explicit and to the point.

Hope that helps

Take care

Sue x
Old 22-05-14, 10:27 AM   #7
Gillywig
Approved Member

Hi CC

When we got Mark's DLA reviewed due to him needing more help I contacted Adult Social Care and they sent someone round from the Welfare Rights team who did all the forms for us. I just couldn't face doing them on my own.
There are so many questions and sometimes you forget just how much you do and how much more extra help is needed with things like shaving, washing etc. It really helped having someone else asking the questions and asking further information so that you don't miss things or think they are not important.

G
Gillywig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-14, 09:18 PM   #8
Cupcake
Approved Member

Thank you for your replies, have made the phone call to request new form, will take about two weeks to come through, mental health nurse will help me she says, I am also going to read up on the website for medical terms, and use all of your hints and tips.

Thank you x
Old 26-06-14, 08:51 PM   #9
nicolann
Approved Member

We called dwp today to apply for PIP - Talk about hard work, I explained I was calling on behalf of my husband who has HD - so she chatted to him, he became worked up, 20 minutes later she need to chat to my hubby again, for consent to contact GP.

40 minutes later we was told there will be a form coming out and that my hubby has to go and have an independent assessment done - now this has cause 7 phones calls to me at work this afternoon and he cannot eat as he feels 'stressed out' about the assessment - can anyone advise me on what this independent entails

nicolann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-14, 09:38 PM   #10
jaq
Approved Member

Hi

The orms are a night mare you need to put down the worse case senario dont sugar coat anything this of really bad days / events .

I presume the independent assesment would be with an ATos doctor or maybe a new company is doing it now .

Worth a visit to a Citizens Advice as they are bang up to date with the latest legislation and know the ins and outs of applying .##Best wishes
Jaq x
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote