Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntington’s disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 29-03-15, 04:12 PM   #1
fiona75
Approved Member

Default Do you really want to know? - documentary

Just wondered if people were aware of a really good film documentary called Do you really want to know? which tells the story of 3 individuals (and by default their parents, siblings and children) who have undergone the testing process. I've been trying to see it for a couple of years now but it was only available in the US and Canada. Someone has now uploaded the film to youtube now and it is a really interesting (and teary!) watch. I'm a bit HD obsessed at the moment so am keen to read/watch/hear anything to do with the disease but this is definitely worth a look if you are considering the testing process or just to see how HD affects the lives of others.
fiona75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-15, 05:30 PM   #2
Allan
Approved Member

Default Re: Do you really want to know? - documentary

Hi Fiona

There are over 600 hd-related short videos on youtube

Do You Really Want To Know? is here

There are also over 100 hd-related videos at Vimeo

including 4 of the Smith family

Many of the videos are, obviously, quite difficult to watch, the majority are North American, some might be a bit difficult to understand – but they are interlaced with lots of pies in the face.

The more you view and read - the better your understanding to cope and care.

Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-15, 07:46 PM   #3
Cupcake
Approved Member

Hi Fiona

I saw the documentary at the Hda AGM last October. I thought it was very American, but it did make me think abit more positively about testing, as currently it is my hubby with HD, and I am really scared about our sons bring tested.
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-15, 10:38 PM   #4
Cupcake
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
I went to watch it at the AGM but it was so hot in there I nearly passed out and had to come out. I think everyone thought I was upset but I was just tooo sooooooo hot.

I think you were just sooooooooo excited about meeting your MB family xxxxxxxxxx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-15, 09:56 AM   #5
fiona75
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Hi Fiona

There are over 600 hd-related short videos on youtube

Do You Really Want To Know? is here

There are also over 100 hd-related videos at Vimeo

including 4 of the Smith family

Many of the videos are, obviously, quite difficult to watch, the majority are North American, some might be a bit difficult to understand – but they are interlaced with lots of pies in the face.

The more you view and read - the better your understanding to cope and care.

Thanks Allan. I'll definitely have a look. I'm thinking they might be good for my husband too, especially if my result comes back positive. He never saw my dad in the earlier stages of HD and how the disease progressed. By the time I met my husband, dad was immobile, unable to communicate and the movements had stopped. I don't feel he really understands how HD may affect him and I want him to be as prepared as possible.
fiona75 is offline   Reply With Quote