Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntington’s disease

Old 23-02-18, 09:02 AM   #1
NRB77

Default Is this the start of symptoms?

Hi, all. Someone I love has the diagnosis of the HD gene. This person is mid thirties. I know the onset is inevitable and that she is in the age range when onset is typical. I just don't know enough about HD to know if the following may be symptoms of onset or not. She constantly makes a sound like she's clearing her throat over and over throughout the day. And when she's falling asleep her body twitches a lot. Other than that there is nothing noticeable. Are these things that might mean that HD has begun its onset? Thank you for any advice.
NRB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 06:18 PM   #2
Runningmum
Approved Member

Default Re: Is this the start of symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRB77 View Post
Hi, all. Someone I love has the diagnosis of the HD gene. This person is mid thirties. I know the onset is inevitable and that she is in the age range when onset is typical. I just don't know enough about HD to know if the following may be symptoms of onset or not. She constantly makes a sound like she's clearing her throat over and over throughout the day. And when she's falling asleep her body twitches a lot. Other than that there is nothing noticeable. Are these things that might mean that HD has begun its onset? Thank you for any advice.
Hi. Sorry to hear of your circumstances. it is possible that what you describe are early signs but also I know that people under stress often have little 'tics' , like throat noises etc so it could be that. As for bed, people asleep general y don't have those types of involuntary movements as the part of the brain that controls them is asleep. If its whilst falling asleep it could be dreaming , you know falling off a step type thing as one drops off. Otherwise I'm not really sure how to help. Of course they could be signs. Good luck.
Runningmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-18, 03:48 PM   #3
keith marshall
Approved Member

Default Re: Is this the start of symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRB77 View Post
Hi sorry to hear about your loved one,there are so many different signs to the early onset of HD my wife's first noticeable signs were when she watched tv her head would drop forward so her eyes would have to look from the top and the eyes would roll constantly, little mouth movements,little twitches of her arms an legs, little shrugs of her shoulders,all very slight hardly noticeable,she was in her early thirties,everyone is different
yours Keith
keith marshall is offline   Reply With Quote