Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntington’s disease

Old 12-02-14, 04:01 PM   #11
Zara
Approved Member

Default Re: Can anyone help with persistent arm pain in HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Hi Zara

I don't have HD but I regularly have Tennis Elbow [lateral epicondylitis] and I'm just recovering from a very painful Frozen Shoulder [adhesive capsulitis]. I usually have cortisone injections for the Tennis Elbow and any thumb\finger similar issues. For the current FS I was prescribed Sevredol [morphine sulphate] for immediate pain relief and Arthrotec [diclofenac sodium] for the pain and swelling. Diclofenac is a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drug [NSAID]. I also use Traxam\Felbinac gel for immediate pain relief - although this didn't work too well on the shoulder.

I originally thought that my problems might be RSI related as I have been a computer keyboarder since time began. Tennis Elbow originates in the wrist area:

The elbow joint is surrounded by muscles that move your elbow, wrist and fingers. The tendons in your elbow join the bones and muscles together and control the muscles of your forearm.

Tennis elbow is usually caused by overusing the muscles attached to your elbow and used to straighten your wrist. If the muscles and tendons are strained, tiny tears and inflammation can develop near the bony lump [the lateral epicondyle] on the outside of your elbow. [taken from the NHS website]

The onset of her pain appears to coincide with the hand clenching that is common in HD - with the fingers together and the hands pointing inwards.

Could the constant HanD movements be causing an RSI-type injury?

They suspect posture - sitting back in one position for prolonged periods of time

Does the chair that your lady sits on have arms and does she use them for resting her arms on? When I'm using the laptop on my lap I tend to use the arms of my chair so that I only need to use my lower arms for keyboarding - and I think that's what eventually caused my frozen shoulder.

Diabetes can also be a cause of this type of arm pain.

I hope you find the solution soon - as no one with HD should have to be subjected to more suffering.

Best wishes

Allan
Hi Allan,

Thank you very much for both of your posts, I appreciate it :)
I am sorry to hear about the tennis elbow and frozen shoulder, although I haven't suffered either of those myself I understand that they're painful. I hope that the frozen shoulder is all better soon and that the tennis elbow stays at bay.
Maybe the hand movements are caused by an RSI-type injury, so that's something we'll look into.
The chair that the lady uses does have arms on it, yes. I can imagine that resting her elbows on them all day can't be doing them much good. We'll work on finding some more comfortable positions for her arms.
I am not so sure, she 'slaps' her arm and will say it hurts, but the pain seems to move each time, so it's a bit of a mystery! We do try and move her arm about sometimes to keep the muscles working, and sometimes that helps.

Thanks again!

Best wishes,

Zara
Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-14, 05:45 PM   #12
Gillywig
Approved Member

Hi,

When Mark complains of having a cold or his back being sore I give him some "strong painkillers" which are actually vitamin c tablets!! He has no idea but half an hour later I ask him if he is better and he says yes!! He spent nearly two years on cyclazine which is a strong anti-sickness tablet which he didn't need!!! It was all anxiety!!

Maybe she has hurt it in the past but still imagines the pain??
Gillywig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-14, 09:02 AM   #13
Zara
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillywig View Post
Hi,

When Mark complains of having a cold or his back being sore I give him some "strong painkillers" which are actually vitamin c tablets!! He has no idea but half an hour later I ask him if he is better and he says yes!! He spent nearly two years on cyclazine which is a strong anti-sickness tablet which he didn't need!!! It was all anxiety!!

Maybe she has hurt it in the past but still imagines the pain??
Hi there,

Thank you for your response and I apologise for taking so long to respond.
That is an excellent idea, thank you for that! We have tried to give her a vitamin c tablet (or water in a syringe if she asks for oramorph - she can't tell the difference as her taste buds don't seem to pick it up). It seems to work sometimes and not others, but I would agree that part of 'my arm hurts' may be due to some anxiety.
Old 13-03-14, 09:06 AM   #14
Zara
Approved Member

Hi everyone,

We may have found a solution to the arm pain - it seemed to be down to the posture of the lady I care for, so we're wondering if she has a trapped nerve or something similar. We placed a folded pillow under her lower back - it didn't look overly comfortable but her neck was straight and she said she was fine. She also stopped mentioning arm pain! Since then we have been using the pillow and it seems to have knocked the arm pain on the head. Wahoo!

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I really appreciate it!

Best wishes,

Zara :)
Old 13-03-14, 10:29 PM   #15
toosh
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara View Post
Hi everyone,

We may have found a solution to the arm pain - it seemed to be down to the posture of the lady I care for, so we're wondering if she has a trapped nerve or something similar. We placed a folded pillow under her lower back - it didn't look overly comfortable but her neck was straight and she said she was fine. She also stopped mentioning arm pain! Since then we have been using the pillow and it seems to have knocked the arm pain on the head. Wahoo!

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I really appreciate it!

Best wishes,

Zara :)
Hi Zara

Glad you found a solution and bless you for taking the time to come on this message board to try and find help.
Toosh xxx
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote