Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Young People

Young People For young people under the age of 35 to share experiences, information and ideas

Old 14-03-17, 11:55 PM   #1
Charmac

Default New

Hia, I'm Charlotte my father in law was diagnosed 2 years ago. My concern now is my partner he chose not to.be tested but over that last 12 month his mental state is getting worse and I'm just wondering if this could be anything to do the disease, he is very paranoid thinks people are out to.get him and has regular delusions.
Charmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 05:41 PM   #2
shiraz
Approved Member

Default Re: New

Hi Charmac.....I think your post has gotten lost on this clunky old site coz I check in daily and it's passed me by, just like a post from JackSparrow unfortunately so I hope by replying I might get others to rsvp.

My first thought is how old is your partner? In adult hd things start to show in middle age more or less.....so that would be some sort of indication...If he's refused to be tested then obviously it's something that you are going to worry about and something he wants to block out and pretend/hope that he's "okay". All I can say is that paranoia and hostility, aggression, hatred of others were all early symptoms in my husband.
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-17, 08:01 PM   #3
RileyR
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmac View Post
Hia, I'm Charlotte my father in law was diagnosed 2 years ago. My concern now is my partner he chose not to.be tested but over that last 12 month his mental state is getting worse and I'm just wondering if this could be anything to do the disease, he is very paranoid thinks people are out to.get him and has regular delusions.
I think that you should try having a serious discussion with him about facing it together? I'm not an expert by any means but I was upfront with my now partner about wanting to get tested and he was on the same page as me because we approach it as something we are going to be facing together. Maybe if he gets tested he could get some better help for his symptoms (if that's what they're from?) and it's not HD symptoms, you'd be able to better approach it from there with less stress?

But yes, his symptoms sound like possible HD. Not everyone experiences it the same way though. Have you considered talking to your mother in law about your feelings on the issue? She might be able to get through to him best if they're on good terms.

Hope that helps. :)
RileyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 01:08 PM   #4
jacqueline
Approved Member

Please try the HDYO below.
It is a
N excellent site for young people.
http://en.hdyo.org/
jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote