Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Young People

Young People For young people under the age of 35 to share experiences, information and ideas

Old 21-01-11, 10:04 PM   #11
VikiLibra
Approved Member

Send a message via MSN to VikiLibra Send a message via Yahoo to VikiLibra
Default Re: Another newbie :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy31010 View Post
Hey guys. After being told about this message board a million and one times, I thought it was about time to give it a go. Here goes.!

Both my gran and dad have HD. I'm 17 now and am in college, studying Biology, Psychology and Textiles. Applying for uni's at the minute to do fashion design, the joys.!!!

Even though I'm 17 I'm going through the stages of getting tested. My next appointment will be my second in the testing process and I'm going to take two of my friends with me :) They are very supportive and when I asked them if they would come with me, they said that they would have asked me if I hadn't asked them which was very relieving :) They want to go with me not only to support me but also to learn more about HD so they will be able to talk to me about it more and be more understanding. I am unconditionally greatful to them for doing this for me because I can only imagine what they must be thinking and honestly I don't know how I would cope if the situation was reversed.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for this next appointment to come up it feels like when the three of us talk about it, they are very reserved because they don't want to say anything which will upset me etc so while I'm waiting, I'm feeling very alone and feel like there are not alot of people who I can talk to about it. Thats when the wee yellow lightbulb above my head came on and I thought of this place so here I am :)

Any thought.? Just needing a general chat really :) Any comments would be much appreciated :) xx

I hope everything goes ok for you, it's just horrible what you're going through.
I've just joined up. I've been thinking about getting tested for a couple of years now. My dad and two uncles both have HD. My uncle passed away 3 years ago and my grandma also had it, sh edied when I was 5.
I would love to chat to someone who has been through theprocess and could give me any advice or anser any questions I have.
I don't really like talking to my family about it, and my GP doesn't really understand. My friends are understanding but don't really get what i'm gonig through.
:)

Victoria x x
VikiLibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-11, 12:33 AM   #12
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikiLibra View Post
I would love to chat to someone who has been through theprocess and could give me any advice or anser any questions I have.

Victoria x x
Hi Victoria,

Welcome to the board If you want to chat I'm around. I got tested a few years ago when I was 19 and would be happy to talk with you about HD.

Take care,
Matt.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-11, 01:01 AM   #13
VikiLibra
Approved Member

Send a message via MSN to VikiLibra Send a message via Yahoo to VikiLibra

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1moreperson View Post
Hi Victoria,

Welcome to the board If you want to chat I'm around. I got tested a few years ago when I was 19 and would be happy to talk with you about HD.

Take care,
Matt.

Thank you that would be helpful :)
I'm 18, not been tested yet I think i said that before, but am thinking about it.
Victoria x x
VikiLibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-11, 04:14 PM   #14
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikiLibra View Post
Thank you that would be helpful :)
I'm 18, not been tested yet I think i said that before, but am thinking about it.
Victoria x x
Well, if you enable personal messages you can send me a message anytime. Click on 'User Control Panel' in the top left corner of the page, then click on 'Edit Opitons', then scroll down and tick the box that says 'Enable Personal Messages'.

Take care,
Matt.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-11, 04:32 PM   #15
kayleigh
Approved Member

hhiiyyyaa wwelccommme tttoo thhe bbboaarrd! imm ggladd yyoou hhavvve jjoinneedd uus onn hherree:))
d ii amm 23 nnooww annnd i hhavvee juuvenile hd annndd iimm inn a wwheelchairr nnooww:))
kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-11, 03:22 PM   #16
Jendiplodocus
Approved Member

Hey :)

I'm 20 and my mum has been diagnosed with Huntingdon's disease. I was just wondering if you could tell me a bit about how you decided to get the test done. I'm finding it quite hard to know what to do. I know for sure that I will have the test before I have a family, but I'm not sure whether to get it over with so that I have more time to get used to the idea, in the case that my test is positive, or whether to just leave it for a few years and try and not think about it...
Thank you!
Jendiplodocus is offline   Reply With Quote