Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntingtonís disease

Old 24-06-13, 05:39 PM   #1
TL226
Approved Member

Default Complicated relationship

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me an independent view of what's happening in my life.

20 years ago I met my current partner whilst I was still caring for my late husband who had HD. He helped me through some very difficult times. We eventually started living together (and still do). We have a son who is now 14.

My son from my marriage - now 26 - was diagnosed with HD 4 years ago. My partner and I had drifted apart, probably due to the stress and enormity of HD and we have both been made redundant. My partner has recently found a 'friend' who he was spending may hours with - she has problems and he is/was trying to help her. I have confronted him with what I know, and he stressed that there has been 'nothing going on' between them. Basically, he's told me that he will be there for me to support me through my son's illness. I have found letters he has sent her which give councelling guidence which contain a few endearments.

The last one however said that he felt that he and she had a very close emotional bond, but could not meet for any more than dog walks - he said that it may be years until they are together. I have read this as he is waiting for my son to die. I am in pieces. What do I do?
TL226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-13, 07:45 PM   #2
dennisw
Approved Member

Default Re: Complicated relationship

Sorry to read of your dilemma.
One of the many sad facts about HD is the risk that family have to care for a number of generations of suffers.
In regard to the problem with your partner, unfortunately I do not feel I can advise on this.
Perhaps some other member will be more helpful.
Regards
Dennis
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-13, 06:51 PM   #3
Dolphin
Approved Member

Hi Trudi

Sorry to read your post. I don't know how to advise you. But I can feel that your world is upside down.

Dolphin
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-13, 09:16 PM   #4
jacqueline
Approved Member

Hiya TL
It is very very difficult to even try to advise you as you are the only one who knows him best.
You say you confronted him about the last one and only you know what he said or how he said it.
He does sound very loyal and if he says nothing went on and you want him then at least you are on the winning side and I would try to reason with him or at least find out if he truly loves you enough to drop this other woman.

It just rings a bell when my dad left my mother for someone else and he lived with me for 6 months. I used to tell my mother that as long as he was with me he was still half hers but if she forced me to send away from mine by making my life tough over it then she would lose him as he wasn't ready to return to her at that time but give him time and he would return to her if she would just stop being "I have done nothing wrong" attitude.
But no......I had to ask him to move because it was made too difficult for me. He went to the other woman. My mother could STILL have had him though if she would have listened and fought for him.

Only you know how he feels and I hope it works out the way you want it to.
Old 01-07-13, 01:34 PM   #5
TL226
Approved Member

Thank you for this. I'm at the stage of telling him that I am not prepared to live like this. Why is he perpetuating the situation? Only a clear path will resolve it and if that path is walking in the other direction then so be it. Iím at the point of no compromises. I no longer need affirmations for what I already know. He needs to make a choice. I hope he will be happy with it.
Old 01-07-13, 01:36 PM   #6
TL226
Approved Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply.